WLP4650 Metschnikowia Reukaufli

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jceg316

Landlord.
Reaction score
I received this in Brew UK's yeast lucky dip. It sounds really interesting and was wondering if anyone has used it before, and if so do you have a recipe to share? Thanks.

I thought you’d passed out onto your keyboard. What type of yeast is it?

EDIT - just googled ithttps://www.brewuk.co.uk/yeast-bay-met-reu.html looks like it needs to be Co-pitched with something as it only has 25% attenuation. Could also make a decent NA/LA beer?

I thought you’d passed out onto your keyboard. What type of yeast is it?

EDIT - just googled ithttps://www.brewuk.co.uk/yeast-bay-met-reu.html looks like it needs to be Co-pitched with something as it only has 25% attenuation. Could also make a decent NA/LA beer?
Haha.

I've been doing some reading, there's not much out there other than the Yeast Bay's description. I wrote to them asking for some advice.

One of the other yeasts I got was WLP099 Super High Gravity Ale, so am thinking of making a barleywine, fermenting on the warm side to get more esters, and co pitching this. I think it increases aroma, so I'll also use a dose of some homegrown hops I have in the freezer.

I got this email back from the Yeast Bay:

Thanks for the email! So, you can really use this with any style in which a more complex nose and softer palate is desired. Most popular styles would be heavily hopped and dry hopped styles, like IPA, Pales and Hazies.

You absolutely can reuse the slurry, even in a style that will not highlight the benefits of the Metschnikowia yeast. There is really no downside, as it will not over attenuate your beer or create flavors that would be considered "off flavors".

Cheers, and lemme know if you have any other questions!

One of the other yeasts I got was WLP099 Super High Gravity Ale, so am thinking of making a barleywine, fermenting on the warm side to get more esters
You can do this, but may not need to. Esters are the byproduct of fermentation, the more yeast has to ferment ie higher OG the more esters produced. So, you'll get more esters in a barley wine vs a standard bitter fermented at the same temperature.

I received this in Brew UK's yeast lucky dip. It sounds really interesting and was wondering if anyone has used it before, and if so do you have a recipe to share? Thanks.

Ooh, lucky - it's one I've had my eye on for a while, I would have bought it if I didn't have 20+ yeasts in the fridge already....

We discussed it a bit over on HBT, although without too much conclusion

Rare yeast, and I'm getting ahold of some!
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/metschnikowia-reukaufii.670662/
WLP099 is also a bit of a funny one, there's a suggestion that it's actually a blend of a diastatic beer yeast and a alcohol-tolerant wine yeast that can keep munching the sugar released by the diastatic yeast. So it's a bit of a thug.

Personally I wouldn't have thought a barleywine would show off the Metschnikowia at its best, these low-attenuation yeasts tend to have not-great tolerance of alcohol (why would they need it?). I'd do a split batch of just a simple SMASH-y golden ale as a get-to-know-you, using a fairly clean yeast and not too-in-your-face hops, with Metsch co-pitched in one half (which can be more than half the total volume, just as long as you've got a few bottles of the control beer for comparison) but not the other.

Latest posts

Back