Wood fired steak

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alastair70

In need of constant supervision
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Time cooking a Cote D’Boeuf on the wood fired oven. 90 minute sous vide at 55C then about 10 searing time on the grill. I’ve done this loads on the BBQ, but this was a completely different meal. The smoky charcoal flavours are gone, and the higher cooking temp delivered the most amazing depth of flavour to the steak. I could still taste it an hour after eating. Best bit was my 17yr old did most of the cooking, and he can’t wait for the next one.

(For the food nerds, grill bars were at 420C, air temp in the oven 230C, steak temp after resting, 58C).

76C2BF7D-5C8E-420D-BAF7-D22A22A88FF9.jpeg
24D5803E-2164-41C7-A5D5-BCACE71EF6FB.jpeg
A627F4C4-F6B5-4FB0-A7C2-372C7A1D4C73.jpeg

Looks amazing Alistair, can you talk to me about your side vide kit/setup?

Looks amazing Alistair, can you talk to me about your side vide kit/setup?

I got one of these a number of years ago when they were much simpler and half the price. I just use it in a normal stock pot for most cooks. I use the Grainfather if I’m doing bigger amounts of meat for dinner parties.

https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-cooker/wifi/
Is that ten seconds searing? Ten minutes sounds too long!
:laugh8: You’d be surprised at just how much heat a chunk of beef that size can take and just get more delicious without getting more well done!

That looks fantastic. I have an iron griddle for my WFO, I've not done steak yet despite having it for a couple of years. I have done a bunch of kebabs on it though, works well

Couldn’t get fresh tarragon to make a béarnaise for tonights Cote D’Boeuf, so did a simpler version of Neil Rankins Kimchi Hollandaise instead. It has to be the best accompaniment I’ve had with steak for a long time. And it was easier than normal hollandaise in many respects. What I did was:

Clarify 150g of butter.
Whisk 2 egg yolks, 2 tbs ice cold water, 1 tsp white wine vinegar over a Bain Marie.
Once the first 20-30g of butter are whisked in to the egg emulsion, put it back on the the Bain Marie and furiously whisk in 1tbs of Gochujang paste for a good couple of minutes.
Take the bowl back off the heat and whisk in the rest of the butter.

One hour, one pint of American Amber and 2 glasses of Malbec later and I can still taste the steak/sauce combo.

198BEE44-9FD8-41DA-BDF5-EB553273DA2A.jpeg

Couldn’t get fresh tarragon to make a béarnaise for tonights Cote D’Boeuf, so did a simpler version of Neil Rankins Kimchi Hollandaise instead. It has to be the best accompaniment I’ve had with steak for a long time. And it was easier than normal hollandaise in many respects. What I did was:

Clarify 150g of butter.
Whisk 2 egg yolks, 2 tbs ice cola water, 1 tsp white wine vinegar over a Bain Marie.
Once the first 20-30g of butter are whisked in to the egg emulsion, put it back on the the Bain Marie and furiously whisk in 1tbs of Gochujang paste for a good couple of minutes.
Take the bowl back off the heat and whisk in the rest of the butter.

One hour, one pint of American Amber and 2 glasses of Malbec later and I can still taste the steak/sauce combo.

View attachment 43133
That's a lovely cut of meat 👍

That's a lovely cut of meat 👍
I’ve got an amazing local butcher. Had to choose between that Cote D’Boeuf, a 1kg sirloin and a 1kg Delmonico. The CdB was right from the heart of the rib so it wasn’t too big a dilemma for once. And the dog gets to run round with the bone for the next week.

Back