Woodforde Admiral Reserve

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarconiBrew

Reaction score
I plan to brew this over the weekend. It comes with three packets of yeast, which seems excessive? What's the deal there?

Also I have read that their yeasts supplied aren't much good, is this true?

Thanks.

I've just done one of these kits and only had 2 packets of yeast. The yeast worked fine and I ended up with a great pint or 32. One of the better kits I've done.

A while back these only came with one (undersized) pack of yeast which led to many stalled fermentations. Following a lot of public discussion they started putting a second pack in. I'd use at least two of them.

Probably had the missing pack from my Nelson's Revenge (luckily I had a spare from another Woodforde's kit that I'd used a Safale yeast in instead).

I might start this brew today then. I'll be using it as it is with nothing added as it's my first time with this kit. I'll be using mineral water from Aldi until I sort out home water treatment, which may simply just be tap water treated with campden tablets.

Right, that's the Admiral's in the FV. Just waiting for it to cool enough to add the yeast.

A while back these only came with one (undersized) pack of yeast which led to many stalled fermentations. Following a lot of public discussion they started putting a second pack in. I'd use at least two of them.

Yes I think that was the problem a while back - then they had a Packaging change and a second yeast appeared. Ive been back brewing for almost a year and use Admirals all the time into 3 KKs as it just suits me fine

There also was a mismatch with the Hop powder instructions. The Sachet said to add it before the Yeast and the instructions on the box said add it after 4 days (or vice versa) but I have looked at my 2 Kits "on stock" and the Sachet has now caught up so I think that will have been solved unless there are still some old kits out there

Personally I put the Hop powder in before the yeast anyway as I dont like to open the FV once "bubbling" is underway. I tried the Hop powder adding after 4 days but my unsphisticated "palate" did not notice any different

Cracking brew though

So, two weeks later and the gravity is measuring 1.014. I don't know what's going on, but the brew I did before this (Geordie) finished a bit high. Hmmmm, weird, I just can't get them down into the yellow lately. Temp too high? I'm pitching at about 21-22.

Instuctions on Box say aim for FG of 1.014 so really you are there - especially with 2 weeks having passed

My last 3 Admirals have been 1.014 1.013 and 1.012 and 2 of them have been superb - the 3rd I have not started drinking yet

I have put 2 more in recently and will leave them for 2 weeks if possible and will be happy to get any of the FGs above

I tend to leave them for 2 weeks after reading the "sages" on here but I have the Major Airlocks on FV which I rate because if I am unsure if fermentation has slowed / stopped I press FV Lid and that expels gas through the Airlock and the "float" in Airlock lowers - then I look a few hours later to see if it has risen again lol

It works for me

So it's Monday, been over the two week mark, gravity the same so I barreled it. What I did this time round was I didn't barrel the entire lot, I left the amount which the yeast trap sits in, leaving the sediment behind.

In the second photo it shows the separation of the ale and sediment when the FV is tilted.

Attachments

• 20210208_33.JPG
    20210208_33.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 20210208_34.JPG
    20210208_34.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 89
Its my favourite bit (yes I am a sad bugger) but I always tilt the FV to get the very last drops of the clear liquid off the sediment. Its good to see how little can be left in the FV and of course if some of it gets inthe Keg then it settles out anyway.

Its my favourite bit (yes I am a sad bugger) but I always tilt the FV to get the very last drops of the clear liquid off the sediment. Its good to see how little can be left in the FV and of course if some of it gets inthe Keg then it settles out anyway.
I'm the same, don't want to waste perfectly good beer!

Just started my admiral yesterday, I’m concerned now after reading this should I follow the instructions and add the hops 4 days in or what?

I do nothing but Admirals now and I always add the Hop sachet before the 2 yeast sachets.

If you search you will find a big thread devoted to exactly this. I was advised to try one brew putting hops in after 4 days and one in before fermenting

I did that but could not discern a difference - they were both great so since then I have gone with putting in before yeast.

Hope this helps

Latest posts

Back