Woodforde Nelsons Bitter.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbo77

Reaction score
I’m addicted to this home brew Malarkey!
Set this away last night 11/6/20. This is my 5th kit since starting HB.
Added water to 20.5 litres. Pitched yeast at 24c.
Og was 1050. Plan on doing the 2+2+2 method.
I’ve got high hopes for this Bitter as Woodforde Wherry bitter
was my 1st kit and it’s Supreme.

Nelsons is alright but I think Admirals Reserve is far better IMO

I ordered Wherry as my first kit but accidentally scrolled the choice to Nog. My wife said just give it a go and it was really good. But it's dark and bitter so not for every day. I've since done Wherry twice. It is very good and foolproof.

I too did Woodfordes Kits. Wherry, Bure Gold, and Admirals Reserve as my first attempt at HB and I just tried one of each last night. To say I was pleasantly surprised at the outcome would be an understatement! I was grinning like a Cheshire Cat at my success! They were all brewed exactly 6 weeks ago now and I expect them to improve as time goes by. I will definitely being doing these kits again in the future.

I too did Woodfordes Kits. Wherry, Bure Gold, and Admirals Reserve as my first attempt at HB To say I was pleasantly surprised at the outcome would be an understatement! I was grinning like a Cheshire Cat at my success! They were all brewed exactly 6 weeks ago now and I expect them to improve as time goes by. I will definitely being doing these kits again in the future.
That was my reaction too! When i tasted Wherry for the first time (my 1st kit ) i was grinning ear to ear..
Friends that i’ve given bottles like it too, even the Mrs. Woodforde make some great kits.
Just enjoying a pint of woodforde Nog, 4 weeks in bottle and its coming on nicely!

I've tried Wherry and enjoyed, what are the differences between that an Admirals Reserve?
I can’t comment flavour wise ( I’ve yet to brew, it’s waiting patiently in garage) but Admirals reserve is stronger.
At 5.5% vs 4.5 with Wherry.
Also Wherry is brewed to 23 litres vs 18 litres with AR.

've tried Wherry and enjoyed, what are the differences between that an Admirals Reserve?
I find that the Wherry is more of a session beer as its ABV is lower (around 4.5%). Its is very smooth and has a slight citrus note and malty tone but not overpowering. The Admiral's Reserve is stronger at around 5.5% ABV and is a dark chestnut colour bitter again very smooth but with a slightly sweet and fruity flavour. The Wherry brews to 40 pints whereas the Admiral's Reserve only to 32 pints. I can recommend both kits.

I find that the Wherry is more of a session beer as its ABV is lower (around 4.5%). Its is very smooth and has a slight citrus note and malty tone but not overpowering. The Admiral's Reserve is stronger at around 5.5% ABV and is a dark chestnut colour bitter again very smooth but with a slightly sweet and fruity flavour. The Wherry brews to 40 pints whereas the Admiral's Reserve only to 32 pints. I can recommend both kits.
We must have posted at exactly same time.. 😃
AR sounds right up my street, I look forward to drinking it. 🍺

I can’t comment flavour wise ( I’ve yet to brew, it’s waiting patiently in garage) but Admirals reserve is stronger.
At 5.5% vs 4.5 with Wherry.
Also Wherry is brewed to 23 litres vs 18 litres with AR.

Thanks both, AR sounds right up my street. Now on my next brew list :-)

I've tried Wherry and enjoyed, what are the differences between that an Admirals Reserve?
I asked Woodfordes and got this

Wherry……….Pale, crystal and caramalt, with English Golding, Challenger and Savinjski Golding.

Nog……………Pale, crystal, chocolate and roast barley with First Gold, Challenger and Savinjski Golding

Admiral’s Reserve……….Pale, caramalt, crystal and crystal rye with English Golding and Savinjski Golding.

Headcracker……………..Pale with English Golding and Savinjski Golding.

Have fun!

Regards,

Neil Bain. M.Brew.

Head of Brewing

Woodforde’s Brewery

NR13 6SW

Tel:01603 720353 :Mob 07986 159984

I'll be interested in how this turns out. I'm slowly going through all the Woodfordes kit and have this planned for Aug/Sept using the same method as you :-)

Like Wherry - a Session beer

Made 2 AdRes and have a Thread running re their different colours. First was brilliant tasting and strong. Opening second tonight

Also just gone for a Nelsons Revenge but its brewing coincided with the hot spell and my usual 21c"max" front room went much higher so that one maybe will not turn out typically and I will have to do another

However I have a AdRes kit already standing by when one of my 4 barrels is vacant

Back