Woodfordes Admiral Reserve Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm planning my next few beer kit purchases, so have been reading up about the Admiral Reserve. Not being over keen on strong beers and being a tight ****, I was wondering about brewing this to 40 pints. Has anyone tried this, or tried brewing both to 36 pints and 40 pints as would be interested as to the taste, or should I stick with Mr Dependable, the Wherry?

Just had 1st reading today after noticing the dome shape on the lid of the FV had gone flat and it was at 1010. Re check in another 48hrs

Cornish Knocker said:
I'm planning my next few beer kit purchases, so have been reading up about the Admiral Reserve. Not being over keen on strong beers and being a tight ****, I was wondering about brewing this to 40 pints. Has anyone tried this, or tried brewing both to 36 pints and 40 pints as would be interested as to the taste, or should I stick with Mr Dependable, the Wherry?

Many brew this to 40... I do for example. It's because some say it's actually "too" heavy when brewed to 32.

winelight said:
Cornish Knocker said:

Many brew this to 40... I do for example. It's because some say it's actually "too" heavy when brewed to 32.

Thanks winelight, the Admiral Reserve is now on the list for my next purchase. :cheers:

Stayed at 1010 48hrs later so I bottled tonight, after cold crashing it for 48hrs in the garage.
Batch primed with 80g of dextrose and I'm loving the taste already,quite rich with loads of potential :pray:

Just had a quality control test after 9 days :grin: and its very pleasing even this young,definitely taste the strong ABV in it,nicely balanced though :thumb:

Hi guys, my first comment here on the forum just like to say what a great resource.

I have just bottled this kit after initially getting stuck at around 1020, eventually got it down to 1010. I have ran this at the recommended 32 brew size and followed the instructions on the kit. The initial temp was too high so had to wait around for it to cool before adding the yeast.

A cheeky sample during bottling has me thinking this may not last in the garage till summer! :drink:

I made this as per instructions and kegged it in a budget pressure barrel with 75g of sugar for secondary, which is ample.

The one thing I would say, is that even a small amount of patience with this kit pays huge dividends. Mine conditioned in the barrel for about 7 weeks before I got at it, and the result is probably the best ale I have made to date. It dropped crystal clear and is smooth, tasty, not overly hoppy and with a kick like a small mule :party:

There are plenty of places online that have these kits on sale at under £19, which to my mind is an absolute steal.

Highly recommended and a definite on FatCol's list of regulars :cheers:

I've just found some bottles of this I brewed in April...:party:
My god its good. Rounded, smooth, rich and no and I mean NO homebrew taste at all. Not as bitter as the wherry, but if anything its a little fizzy for an ale, but that might be down to my premature bottling back in April... :hmm:
All I can say is brew this, bottle it, and hide it away. Time really does pay dividends.
A lot nicer than wherry, and I've brewed 9 lots of Wherry so far, cos I like it;)
So, when I can find it again in wilko's I'm getting a few kits to brew and forget...
One to deffo reccomend.

I've just found some bottles of this I brewed in April...:party:
My god its good. Rounded, smooth, rich and no and I mean NO homebrew taste at all. Not as bitter as the wherry, but if anything its a little fizzy for an ale, but that might be down to my premature bottling back in April... :hmm:
All I can say is brew this, bottle it, and hide it away. Time really does pay dividends.
A lot nicer than wherry, and I've brewed 9 lots of Wherry so far, cos I like it;)
So, when I can find it again in wilko's I'm getting a few kits to brew and forget...
One to deffo reccomend.

You managed to keep it since April.....!
I tip my hat sir ,but surely the way to go, evidence that patience really is the key(jeez, I wish I could take my advice !)
I shall have to try this one after I've done all the Wherry kits I've just got from Wilkos for a bargain £15:party:

You managed to keep it since April.....!
I tip my hat sir ,but surely the way to go, evidence that patience really is the key(jeez, I wish I could take my advice !)
I shall have to try this one after I've done all the Wherry kits I've just got from Wilkos for a bargain £15:party:

yup, I've got over 200 bottles now, 2 FV's and some thirsty relatives to keep happy!
Plan is to brew and brew untill I'm out of bottles, then just "top up" as required. Should be able to get at least 4 months conditioning on everything before its drunk. Well.... thats the plan anyway!:rofl:

Had another bottle last night... my god its good! Beats wherry any day, slightly sweeter, but stronger taste, and very well rounded.
If I was to meet my father in law again for the first time, this is what I would give him. Its cracking.

Well its all gone. The last bottle from April 2014 was drunk tonight.
Blummin lovely pint it was. Best I've ever made. Longest I've ever kept it too! Hmmm maybe there's a correlation?

Just need to find some in the next Wilko sale now... :grin:

May have wrecked this one!
Any advice greatly appreciated.
SG was 1048
Remained at constant temp 20 - 22C
Seemed to stop on day 7 at 1016 and remained there for three days so I bottled it. (I know, I know, typical over eager newbie!)
Reading all of your posts has got me worried that I have bottled far too early and may have a load of bottles exploding soon in my shed.
Is there anything I can do or is it better to just write this batch off?
Been bottled and in shed now for 2 days.

Great stuff. Many thanks.
Will do as you suggest and see how it is.
Really looking forward to it. Have had it on draught and after reading all your reviews, this sounds like it's gonna be just as nice!

Started this of this evening, made it to approx 40 pints yeast added at 26c, not to worried if abv is down to around 4-4.5%, SG was 1042, i am intending to barrel it with a perhaps 4 bottles for sampling at 1 month intervals once the barrel is done.

Six days in and next to no fermentation seems to be taking place, i've taken a reading and am at 1014, have also given it a small stir and there seems to be some bubbling action occurring again as a result. I will recheck gravity again in a couple of days time.

Made this last month - it was my first 2 can kit, and my first solo brew.
Was made with the idea of being served at my 20th birthday celebrations, but due to bad habits was opened a little before the actual event! :whistle:
It was a strange tasting beer to start off with, but after a few bottles I really liked it.
Needless to say it went down a treat with my friends, even the ones who really don't like beer tried a bit and said they liked it (although they may just be too british to be impolite)

Would definitely make it again

Quick bit of advice on this gents;

brewed as per instructions and been in 12 days now - started at 1053 (22C) and has now been at 1016 for last 3 days. Odd bubble but seems to have stopped. Others have got down to 1010. Shall I bottle or give it longer?

Kimosabby

Latest posts

Back