Woodfordes Nelsons Revenge Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You need to check the specific gravity, but as you have had it at 26c, which is on the high side. 20c would have been better. But it probably finished.

brynwills said:
im a newbie here

ive had this kit on for 5 days now bubbled like crazy through airlock for 48 hours now nothing. its been in the airing cupboard which is around 26 degrees.

ive done a hydro reading which says ( presume) 1.010

would you say this is ready for keg - airlock not done anything for a day or so?

hhhheeeellllppppp

Airing cupboard at 26°C .... your fermentation probably happened at about 29°C and went through the process much too quickly, you might find you have off flavours. :electric: At 1010 your brew is ready for the next step. I would put it into secondary, not in the airing cupboard but somewhere much cooler, let's say 16°C, with finings, let it sit for a few days to go clear and then put it into the keg ... unless you are planning to bottle the brew. :hat:

PS forget the airing cupboard in the future, it's much too hot. An ambient temperature of 16° to 18° C is sufficient. :drink:

Well ive done it syphoned into keg with a small amount of water and sugar . Also filled two two litre bottles with sugar. Had a little taste test. Very cloudy and bittery hoping it will condition smoother but it is my first go. Any recommendations for my next brew?

after just a couple of days in the keg had to see how things were progressing, got a shot glass and poured. a very tiny head, still cloudy but not to such an extent the bitteryness has all but subsided very palatable looks the same colour as a boddingtons would this be the right colour?

My first brew doesnt taste like hb

What are your thoughts on the look of it after 16 days

IMG-20140408-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20140408-WA0004.jpg

I brewed mine 32 pints instead of the 36 & its well worth sacrificing those 4 pints. Its been in the barrel 4 weeks now & i'm sampling it now as i type. Its that nice i'm gonna have to get to my brewstore 2morrow for more supplies as this will be gone by the end of the week. good job i've got 3 barrels of wherry & 40 bottles of coopers stout to keep me going :thumb::drink:

As my first attempt after a 20 year break I have to say this is as good if not better than the the commercial bottled beers I have been drinking.
Brewed as per instructions and kegged. Only drink at weekends and each week it improves. I will definitely be brewing this again but intend bottling.
:drink:

My first ever Nelson's has been sat at 20 degrees for 14 days now, and seems to have levelled off at 1.016. Would this be OK to bottle? I don't want to ruin this one as it will be left alone till Xmas.

The smells from this have been fantastic! i even tasted some after 10 days and was pleasantly surprised by it

Well I couldn't leave this till Xmas! Been bottled 5-6 weeks now, 2-3 in the warm and the rest in the garage. Tastes great, good depth of flavour with a sweet-bitter sweet taste that seems complex. Not sat there and sampled more than one in a sitting but I bet this could go down a treat in quantity. My favourite so far, and one is definitely recommend and brew again

Ok,

got one of these kits on the go.

Made to 36 pints using bottled spring water, smelt bangin from the off and was really excited. Now i'm less so. It went off like a rocket for the 1st 24 hrs, was a tad hot at 24 deg so got it down to 19-20 deg, and in my rush forgot to take sg reading:oops: I Let it do its thing for a couple of weeks and thought it had stuck so against my better judgement gave it a stir, any way it kicked off again and finished on 1008.

I transferred into pressure keg and used 85-90 gram of demarara sugar to try and be clever and probably a day 1 week 1 mistake.

I have sampled once a week for the last three weeks and have been less than impressed.

it has a very bitter aftertaste, i can taste the malty flavours but it seems to be gatting worse not better. The biggest thing is that it isnt clearing. After racking to Keg i put in the house for 48 hrs then in garage ever since. The carbonation seems ok but as its my 1st beer brew not too sure.

Any hints would be welcome.

Mark.

I got this on the go yesterday with 20g Fuggles pellets chucked in right at the start with the extract and boiling water, og 1044. It's got a long way to go to get near the 5% abv on the box! Smell was lovely...

I got this on the go yesterday with 20g Fuggles pellets chucked in right at the start with the extract. Made up to 20 litres, og 1044, a long way to go to reach the 5% abv on the box! Smell was lovely...

Well, 6 days of fermentation at 17-19*C ambient temperature and the gravity today is at 1010! I've never had a Woodford kit get below 1012 before, I'll probably give it up to another week before kegging, I wonder if it'll go lower...
Ps, trial jar was very encouraging!

Latest posts

Back