Woodfordes Nelsons Revenge Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sigh. This has been in the FV for 17 days now, is still bubbling the airlock and has only got to 1.015. I was hoping to bottle it this weekend, but will have to leave it a bit longer, or face the risk of bottle bombs, I think.

1015 is not too bad, I had a brew ages ago that stuck at 1016 after nearly 3 weeks and bottled it without any bombs. If you've tried all the usual things ie stirring it, raising temp slightly and it still doesn't move at all by the weekend then I would go ahead and bottle it
:cheers:
P.s liked your label :thumb:

I was hoping to get it down to 1.012 and it's clearly still fermenting, as it bubbles every few minutes. I'll keep testing the gravity over the next few days and see if it shifts any further. I might have enough plastic bottles, to prevent bombs, if I drink the rest of my wherry! It's been fermenting at 20C, so really surprised it's gone on so long, especially as I rehydrate the yeast before pitching.

I've managed to acquire some more fonts, so might tweak the label a bit. I'll put together 6 on a PDF and upload it somewhere if anyone wants a version with their own ABV and bottling date.

in two minds whether to bottle or barrel this kit, has anyone done both? and what would you recommend?

dagovenor said:
in two minds whether to bottle or barrel this kit, has anyone done both? and what would you recommend?

It's a great kit, one of my favourites. I personally preferred it out of the barrel. Why not try kegging most of it but bottle a couple then you can compare it

was thinking to do this, reason im asking is because iv recently done a
festival kit golden stag and did just that but the bottled beer was to carbonated for me and wasnt like drinking ale if you see where im coming from? but i have one barrel and forty swing top bottles, just means ill have to go buy another barrel

Sounds like you need another keg then :lol: I'm the same mate, a lot of people on here bottle their brews but I prefer mine out of the keg.

What's the longest fermentation time anyone has had on this? Mine's still bubbling after 4 weeks at 20C :shock:

Just checked my brew notes, seem to average about 2 weeks but I did have one that took 17 days. What's it reading?

eggman said:
Sounds like you need another keg then :lol: I'm the same mate, a lot of people on here bottle their brews but I prefer mine out of the keg.
sounds like it! im using a budget keg at moment would you say it would be worth extra to buy king keg top tap? bit undecided ! sorry for straying off subject

dagovenor said:
eggman said:
sounds like it! im using a budget keg at moment would you say it would be worth extra to buy king keg top tap? bit undecided ! sorry for straying off subject

I've read quite a bit on here about people having problems with the king keg top taps so I would stay away from them. I just use the youngs budget kegs myself :cheers:

eggman said:
Just checked my brew notes, seem to average about 2 weeks but I did have one that took 17 days. What's it reading?
Actually, I can't count: it's 21 days today. Was at 1.015 a few days ago, so maybe if I leave it till Saturday, it will have dropped to 1.010 or below. The Admirals reserve I did was also a long fermentation, whereas the wherry finished in under a week, but it is a weaker beer than the other two.

My Nelson's Revenge took weeks, probably 6 or 7 :wha: , but I had upped the SG to 1080 :whistle: . It stuck at 1015 but I gave it a stir and added 2 teaspoons of yeast nutrient. It came down to 1010! (another 2 weeks)

bottled this today, had a quick sample as you do! looking forward to this one. took an age to brew though! :cheers:

Been sampling this as it's been conditioning for a couple of weeks now. Possibly a bit young still, but tastes nice, quite fruity and both my wife and I feel that it tastes very similar to the Wherry I brewed. Admiral's Reserve is still my favourite, although we'll see how the Revenge matures!

Doing this one for the first time having been pleased with both Wherry and Norfolk Nog. Interesting to note the long fermentation time as both the others have been ready to barrel after just one week. I was hoping to barrel this weekend but looks like I will have to give it some more time which is a shame as I am getting through the Nog fairly quickly especially as the wife seems to like it too.

Looks like I may have to buy some bottles from the supermarket :(

Have had this nearly 2 weeks in the bottle. Opened one last weekend just to taste and it was flat as a pancake tasted a bit dodgy. Opened one tonight, good carbonation and tastes absolutely gorgeous. Definitely be buying this again cause i cant see this lasting to much past this weekend.

Hello all,

Not often I venture into this side of the forum!

I got one of these for my birthday, marking my first foray into the beer making world. The kit itself was a piece of p**s to do! It's currently sitting in my pressure barrell waiting for its 2 weeks of clearing to come up.

Will update on thoughts once the two weeks are up, which will be a week Thursday!

Luke

Back