Woodfordes Nog help, no airlock action

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kidda

Reaction score
This is only my second brew so maybe nothing to worry about.

Started this on Friday, bubbles every second in the airlock on the second day, now on the third day nothing at all. Temperature is sitting at 19 according to the lcd thingy. It was at 21ish on Friday when I started it.

Should I move it somewhere warmer or leave it alone?

First kit was a youngs APA and that just went like a rocket ship for the first 3 days!

Hey,

Have you taken a hydrometer reading at all?

Have you disturbed the seal at all? Ie is there any chance air is leaking from the top where it wasn't before?

Only took an SG didn't want to open it up yet to take another if poss, it hasn't moved since I started it and the seal has not been messed with since.

It'll be fine I'm sure, been in that place before. Personally, if no movement in 48 hours I'd take a reading but I am impatient 🤣 probably best to leave until Friday like Clint says

If you have a slightly leaky lid to FV seal CO2 will still go through the airlock during the initial part of the fermentation.. However as soon as the fermentation dies away the path of least resistance is the leaky lid seal and bubbling through the airlock then falls away or dies. Leave it alone until Friday as others have said.

Well I couldn't hold off any longer so took a gravity reading using my newly developed syringe and tube through the airlock so as not to have to lift the lid.

Looks like it's down to 1012 in 3 days! started at 1040ish. Didn't expect that. I'll take another reading Friday.

Well I couldn't hold off any longer so took a gravity reading using my newly developed syringe and tube through the airlock so as not to have to lift the lid.

Looks like it's down to 1012 in 3 days! started at 1040ish. Didn't expect that. I'll take another reading Friday.
My last kit brew was NOG and it got me a bit worried when it was still bubbling 10 days after pitching at 21C, dropping to 18C over the following 24hrs. An SG reading of 1.014 suggested I leave it a bit longer. I eventually bottled up after 14 days in the FV. It's now been over 3 weeks since bottling and I couldn't resist the temptation of cracking a bottle or two with a friend; we both agreed it was a superb brew, super malty flavour, good head retention.
I'm sure yours will be just as good! Enjoy the process and results of your labour. :cool:

That was the second kit I ever made. First kit was pretty bad, NOG was amazing, made one more decent kit then by that point I was hooked and bought a grainfather.

It was a really nice beer that one and thats what got me into brewing

Back