Woodfordes Nog Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rocket ronnie said:
This is what I do each year and apart from sneaking a taste at bottling time it is left until the festive season, opening the first bottle the Sunday night before Christmas. So in essence made June - drinking from December, six months seems about right

6 months takes my Nog to my birthday. Reckon I'll have to put 3 or 4 in the loft till then. :thumb:

Here's a picture of my Nog which has been in the Keg for 2 weeks now and has had to be moved into the shed to condition and stay out of temptations way :whistle:

photo1_zps03ae2ad7.jpg

Stew said:
Here's a picture of my Nog which has been in the Keg for 2 weeks now and has had to be moved into the shed to condition and stay out of temptations way :whistle:

How long are you thinking of leaving it in the keg (is it a normal pressure barrel?). My nog has been in bottles for about 10 weeks now and it seems to improve all the time.

noddyman said:
Stew said:

How long are you thinking of leaving it in the keg (is it a normal pressure barrel?). My nog has been in bottles for about 10 weeks now and it seems to improve all the time.

Going to leave it for another good couple of weeks then sample again....I doubt much of it will still be there come christmas. :D
It's just in a standard Youngs pressure barrel.

itbrvilla said:
Mine came out at about 3.5%. Anyone else had this low ABV?

Mine came out at about 3.7% after primary fermentation. I don't think anyone has ever achieved the ABV stated on the box :lol:

That looks like my kind of brew!
I like the heavy beers; porters stout etc and that one is making me wish I had a sample to try right now.

Never mind, a cup of tea will have to do for the time being....
ENVIOUS!

Maysie said:
That looks like my kind of brew!
I like the heavy beers; porters stout etc and that one is making me wish I had a sample to try right now.

Never mind, a cup of tea will have to do for the time being....
ENVIOUS!

Get one on the go Maysie....you won't regret it. :thumb:

I will do!
Just waiting for my STC-1000 to arrive as my house is now too cold, then I will be on it.....

....well, after the other 4 brews are done that is...!

Too many beers. Not enough time. :drink:

Drinking my first NOG now. Only 2 weeks in the bottle and it's a cracking pint. If you lot reckon it improves a lot with age then I'm looking forward to keeping some back for my birthday (June).

I'm on day 9 in the fv, with a start gravity of 1040 I'm now only down to 1016. Will take another reading in a day or two, but could this be it?! All activity looks to have stopped...

Tried the Nog today. been in the bottle about 8 weeks ish.
Strong flavour of black treacle, heavy going, took me an hour to drink a pint! More of a sipping beer than a session ale!
Tastes nice though, as do all the Woodefordes kits.

At day 19 and been at 1014 two days in a row, will check again tomorrow, but I think it's over. Another kit short of the stated abv (4.5% in this case). Trial jar tastes lovely though!
I can't wait to get this one out and get either a coopers stout (with coffee? Vanilla and spice?) or a Festival IPA on next...

Had my second Nog last night... boy is it hard going. Maybe I'm not a "stout" type drinker! Tastes lovely, if different to say the wherry. Heavy heavy notes of treacle, burnt bitterness and rich smoothness. Even the head is that yellowy brown colour.
A great brew if you like heavy dark beers. Bit too much for me, but means I've got about 38 xmas pressies to hand out... ;)

The Nog was my second kit (first one was the wherry which was nice enough but a bit thin) - I decided not to bottle the Nog (as I had done with the wherry) and I've left it in the barrel in the cellar for about 4 months - first couple of tastes after a few weeks hinted at this being a belter and it hasn't disappointed - it has definitely got better with age (albeit its still a bit lively).

Can't praise this kit enough - next ones a milestone lion's pride - its got a lot to live up to

My dad loves the Nog! I've found a home for 30 pints of treacle! :drunk:
He's rejected the Green Man though, as have I. Its vile. Maybe my brewing, maybe the manufacturers fault. who knows. won't be trying it again though.

Had my second Nog last night... boy is it hard going. Maybe I'm not a "stout" type drinker! Tastes lovely, if different to say the wherry. Heavy heavy notes of treacle, burnt bitterness and rich smoothness. Even the head is that yellowy brown colour.
A great brew if you like heavy dark beers. Bit too much for me, but means I've got about 38 xmas pressies to hand out... ;)
I'm drinking my first batch of Nog, which has been in the pressure barrel since October. Everything you don't like about it is why I love it. It's a beer to savour, rather than swig. Great for a "school night" 'cause you don't want to drink too many.

I'm drinking my first batch of Nog, which has been in the pressure barrel since October. Everything you don't like about it is why I love it. It's a beer to savour, rather than swig. Great for a "school night" 'cause you don't want to drink too many.

Don't get me wrong, as a beer, and especially as a HB beer, its fantastic, rich and flavoursome. Just not my type of flavours! I can appreciate a fine wine, a good cheese, a nice steak etc... as I can a decent HB beer.
THIS IS A DECENT BEER FOLKS.
:drunk:

Get one on if you like proper dark beers. You will not be disappointed.

Latest posts

Back