Woodfordes Nog Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi folks,

I have an fv with 'nog' on the go, (my first ever brew) the lid seems to have a hiss from the gasses escaping rather than the airlock bubbling. Is this normal and does the gas leaking from here pose a risk to the beer?

I shall apologise for any silly questions that I am likely to ask.

Thanks,
Kris

It's nothing to worry about. A lot of FVs leak gas from the rim. Just keep it shut.

Hi guys,

It's been 7 days since I started this brew(packaging suggests 4-6 days) checked the gravity today (1.020) is it worth leaving couple more days to see if it gets further towards the 1.014?

Excellent stuff, thanks for a speedy response! I'll do just that, just looked at the lid of the fv and it seems to be swelling again, suggests that it's still fermenting away.

Had a cheeky half of nog this evening. Its only been in the corny keg just over a week. Its still cloudy and was warm because im secondary ferming it to carb, but it tastes great. Rich, black treacle, burnt sugar and chocolate notes. Great mouth feel, not much head but that may improve with further. All in all very drinkable

Gonna get a Nog brewing this week. First time with this kit. I planned to add a can of black treacle and a bar of bourneville plain, but reading this thread l'm having second thoughts... anyone ever done anything like that? All thoughts welcome - don't hold back if you think l've lost it, l've got a quiet corner to crawl into...

Six weeks minimum in the making and after two years I feel I have my kit brewing's sort of exact.
Sterilization procedures I could operate on you gloveless and you would not even catch a cold.Milton being my middle name !
Water quality I only ever use Peckham spring.
Timing I only ever use 2+2+2 as a minimum and tend to brew the kits as is.
Sometimes I brew the kits with additions.
I brew the kits as extract with 2 row and I always always keep detailed records !
I sing to them I read poetry at them
So after two years across these brewing forums I shall give off my opinion.
Yes if "you-tube Craig" would have supped them he would have gone aaaaahhh
But does he not lick his lips and go aaaaahhhh with everything he ever tastes.
There are even knowledgeable long term brewers on here that occasionally make a poor brew however not this lad :whistle: I do however have a special penchant for him because he got me into this game .

Now on with the nog
Brewed as is with no additions
Pitched 70f on a 2 plus 2 plus 2
Bottled with 160 gram priming sugar

Excellent mouthfeel and good head retention
Nice colouration
Stored cool room for two weeks then finally four weeks at around 14c
Overall heavily malty feel with tastes of treacle and a massive malty nose
Sweet with an intense bitterness to the after taste followed by a incredulous tang on the tongue for the next ten seconds. Not at all pleasant and if you see it say it !
In my humble opinion 75% of kits are below par when compared to shop bought.
Not aiming to dis just telling it as it is.
I feel sure partial extract and all grain are far far superior
For me the kits are just not cutting it and why pretend with the emperors new clothes when it just does not meet individual standards. And price too just does not cut the jib for what it is.

And my muntons continental "so called" pilsner all 80 bottles has just been utilized as posh drain cleaner
That's a story for another thread...Pilsner my ar**
Kit price cost ������������£20 pounds and roughly equating to 55p a pint after allowing for wastage
I would score the nog a generous 6/10 and not at all representative of the Wherry also a malty offering scoring a higher 7/10

Six weeks minimum in the making and after two years I feel I have my kit brewing's sort of exact.
Sterilization procedures I could operate on you gloveless and you would not even catch a cold.Milton being my middle name !
Water quality I only ever use Peckham spring.
Timing I only ever use 2+2+2 as a minimum and tend to brew the kits as is.
Sometimes I brew the kits with additions.
I brew the kits as extract with 2 row and I always always keep detailed records !
I sing to them I read poetry at them
So after two years across these brewing forums I shall give off my opinion.
Yes if "you-tube Craig" would have supped them he would have gone aaaaahhh
But does he not lick his lips and go aaaaahhhh with everything he ever tastes.
There are even knowledgeable long term brewers on here that occasionally make a poor brew however not this lad :whistle: I do however have a special penchant for him because he got me into this game .

Now on with the nog
Brewed as is with no additions
Pitched 70f on a 2 plus 2 plus 2
Bottled with 160 gram priming sugar

Excellent mouthfeel and good head retention
Nice colouration
Stored cool room for two weeks then finally four weeks at around 14c
Overall heavily malty feel with tastes of treacle and a massive malty nose
Sweet with an intense bitterness to the after taste followed by a incredulous tang on the tongue for the next ten seconds. Not at all pleasant and if you see it say it !
In my humble opinion 75% of kits are below par when compared to shop bought.
Not aiming to dis just telling it as it is.
I feel sure partial extract and all grain are far far superior
For me the kits are just not cutting it and why pretend with the emperors new clothes when it just does not meet individual standards. And price too just does not cut the jib for what it is.

And my muntons continental "so called" pilsner all 80 bottles has just been utilized as posh drain cleaner
That's a story for another thread...Pilsner my ar**
Kit price cost ������������£20 pounds and roughly equating to 55p a pint after allowing for wastage
I would score the nog a generous 6/10 and not at all representative of the Wherry also a malty offering scoring a higher 7/10
If you happen to be near Kidderminster, I'll happily swap you a bottle of 6 or even 9 month old Nog that will blow your young brew away.
Unless its contaminated, put it to the back of your cold store and go find it at the end of summer or even winter.
You won't be disappointed.
I think Nog is actually a lot better than Wherry if it's young, and to be fair they are both very easy brews which taste good...

So, has something gone wrong? Nog just doesn't taste "bad" and is one of the least homebrew flavoured kits out there. (I've done 6 or 7 - all good, and twenty odd Wherry's, some with additions)

I don't think so pal. Not that I am infallible to the odd mistake or three.
Ran the tap under a fermenter bucket and forgot it was running and sterilized the floor.
Made a brew with no yeast added back in the early days and marvelled to all that would listen about it's incredulous clarity.

Brewed the Nog as described and not at all infected.
Tastes OK but a tangy after-kick on the palate.
Maybe it's just not my mouth feel with all that malt treacle and secret Noggy essence they pop into the recipe.Will do no harm to leave it for a month or so.

Sadly not got the stamina or staying power for leaving my home brew for six or nine months.
Brewed and swallowed in under a four month cycle.
But cheers for the heads up and I do appreciate the feedback and discussion.
It's good to talk even at daft o'clock in the morning.
Guess it's just me not being able to sleep with all this Wherry on my mind.

My most pleasing kits to date have been Saint Petes golden ale and a few IPA's with a tickle of hop juice also the Coopers pale ale was none too bad.
Wines though have all been superlative and the Kendridge range could bring a grown man to tears.
Beaverdale also offering outstanding value and quality
Would deffo give any shop bought ����£8 and under tattinger or blue nun a run for its money.
Have to go now as all this one finger typing has made me come over all arthritic.
I need a drink - Nog anyone ? :tongue:

Gonna get a Nog brewing this week. First time with this kit. I planned to add a can of black treacle and a bar of bourneville plain, but reading this thread l'm having second thoughts... anyone ever done anything like that? All thoughts welcome - don't hold back if you think l've lost it, l've got a quiet corner to crawl into...

So I got it bubbling away on the 6th april. With the extra stuff added SG was 1050. It's now 7th May- 4 & half weeks later - and it's still fermenting - (just). Checked sg on 2nd it was 1012. Is that normal? Or have I brewed a dud?

So I got it bubbling away on the 6th april. With the extra stuff added SG was 1050. It's now 7th May- 4 & half weeks later - and it's still fermenting - (just). Checked sg on 2nd it was 1012. Is that normal? Or have I brewed a dud?

Tried it tonight. Very quaffable. Full bodied, but not enough chocolate:drunk:

After my 1st homebrew kit woodforde Wherry, turned out so well i couldn’t wait to get started
On Woodforde Nog. Especially when fellow brewers mentioned in the same sentence as Hobgoblin,
my favourite dark ale.
Started ferment on 10/5/20. Og 1044
Day 13 filled Trial jar, what a lovely smell reminded me a bit of Mcewans Best scotch, hydro reading was 1015 Decided to leave it longer.
Day 14 appears to have dropped nearer to 1014. I’m going to leave it for a few more day to see if drops a bit.
As on current readings it would only be 4% not the 4.5 i hoped for.
This promises to be a lovely pint.
Will update.

Last edited:
Back