Woodfordes sundew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldfieldbeer

Reaction score
I got a this kit 2 days ago and the best before end date on the bottom of the box says June 2020. When I opened the box I was greated with a voucher saying that I have won a woodfordes kit of my choice. Result. It then says at the bottom in the small print expires January 2018. I then looked at the date on the bottom of each can and it says BBE June 2019.
Would this still be ok to use?

Sadly it's a bit of a general problem with kits, they can linger on the shelf especially in small shops. At least you'll soon be sure that any kit will not date from before March 2020, as every kit on the shelves right now has been cleaned out!

The most important one is safety and from that point of view, it should be fine - the main ingredient is effectively sugar, and you know that sugar doesn't "go off".

The yeast will have lost a bit of viability (but should still ferment, perhaps taking a bit longer than it would otherwise have done), the hops will have lost a bit of hoppiness, but yes you will get beer and it will be safe to drink, just not quite as hoppy as if you'd bought the kit fresh.

If you're going to go with the kit yeast hydrate it in 35c water with nothing else in it. Aerate the wort and then do it again 12 hours later.

You will probably be OK. What apparently happens to liquid malt as it ages is that it darkens, but in your case not likely to be very much, so the malt is fine
Your problem may be with yeast. Depending on how it has been stored it may have lost some of its 'potency' due to its age. The other problem is that Woodeford's (Muntons) kits used to come with only 6g of yeast and that is barely enough to brew 23 litres of beer, worse if it's old. However if you have 2x6g packets you should be OK
But with only one 6g packet I would advise, if you have access to a fresh packet of ale yeast, using that in addition to or instead of the original yeast, but if you don't have more yeast then you need to get the yeast going in a starter before pitching. So what I would do is to add about 100ml of cooled boiled water at about 25*C to a sanitised jug, add the yeast, cover with cling film then leave it for about 30 mins in a warm place, then add about half a tsp of your malt extract into the yeasty slurry, stir well, and leave for another 30 minutes in a warm place. By then the yeast will hav egot going properly and you can pitch it and hopefully you have given it the best start you can.

You will probably be OK. What apparently happens to liquid malt as it ages is that it darkens, but in your case not likely to be very much, so the malt is fine
Your problem may be with yeast. Depending on how it has been stored it may have lost some of its 'potency' due to its age. The other problem is that Woodeford's (Muntons) kits used to come with only 6g of yeast and that is barely enough to brew 23 litres of beer, worse if it's old. However if you have 2x6g packets you should be OK
But with only one 6g packet I would advise, if you have access to a fresh packet of ale yeast, using that in addition to or instead of the original yeast, but if you don't have more yeast then you need to get the yeast going in a starter before pitching. So what I would do is to add about 100ml of cooled boiled water at about 25*C to a sanitised jug, add the yeast, cover with cling film then leave it for about 30 mins in a warm place, then add about half a tsp of your malt extract into the yeasty slurry, stir well, and leave for another 30 minutes in a warm place. By then the yeast will hav egot going properly and you can pitch it and hopefully you have given it the best start you can.
Very much appreciate your wisdom. I did buy some more yeast so I'll use that. My Nelson's revenge that was dated Dec 2020 came with two packs of yeast but no action on the airlock yet but it's only been in the brew fridge since Sunday. Is that normal?

Forgot to add, temperature was set on the STC 1000 at 18.5 degrees, just upped it to 19.5 if that makes any difference?

Very much appreciate your wisdom. I did buy some more yeast so I'll use that. My Nelson's revenge that was dated Dec 2020 came with two packs of yeast but no action on the airlock yet but it's only been in the brew fridge since Sunday. Is that normal?
After 2 days at 18.5/19.5*C and with 12g of yeast well within date you should have a healthy fermentation underway . However if the lid on your FV has not sealed properly the airlock may not be bubbling. In other words your lid may look sealed but it isn't and CO2 is bypassing the bubbler. The easy way of checking if the fermentation is underway without taking the lid off is to see if there is a scum line above the liquid level which indicates that a krausen has formed. If you cant see that I suggest you have a peek under the lid. If there is no sign of activity, no krausen, no bubbles and clear wort I suggest you come back to the forum for advice.

After 2 days at 18.5/19.5*C and with 12g of yeast well within date you should have a healthy fermentation underway . However if the lid on your FV has not sealed properly the airlock may not be bubbling. In other words your lid may look sealed but it isn't and CO2 is bypassing the bubbler. The easy way of checking if the fermentation is underway without taking the lid off is to see if there is a scum line above the liquid level which indicates that a krausen has formed. If you cant see that I suggest you have a peek under the lid. If there is no sign of activity, no krausen, no bubbles and clear wort I suggest you come back to the forum for advice.
You was absolutely right, gave the top of the FV a little tighten and it's bubbling away nicely.
Cheers mate

Back