Woodfordes Wherry Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bottled this a month ago and I've really enjoyed the few bottles we've had so far.

I brewed as per kit instructions, and used the packet yeast plus half a packet Gervin yeast. It still didn't ferment as low as I would have liked and I ended up bottling at 1014. The only tweak I did was to add 2 x 20g Amarillo hop teabags in the FV for the last two days before bottling.

I'd definitely add the hops again, they really come through and seem a good match for the beer. I can see why people rave about this kit and make it again and again, it's truly lovely. I'm trying to keep a few back to gift as Christmas presents!

I bottled this a month ago and I've really enjoyed the few bottles we've had so far.

I brewed as per kit instructions, and used the packet yeast plus half a packet Gervin yeast. It still didn't ferment as low as I would have liked and I ended up bottling at 1014. The only tweak I did was to add 2 x 20g Amarillo hop teabags in the FV for the last two days before bottling.

I'd definitely add the hops again, they really come through and seem a good match for the beer. I can see why people rave about this kit and make it again and again, it's truly lovely. I'm trying to keep a few back to gift as Christmas presents!

Hi Hazzie,

Where did you get the hop tea bags from?

So far I think it's looking good, although a little slow? I took an SG reading on the 14th as it looked like it had slowed down / stopped as little foam on top. It read 1017. Took one 24hrs later and it was 1016. Both times it looked very cloudy. Took another reading this morning and it was 1014 and starting to look a little clearer. Still a way to go I think but at least it doesn't appear to have stuck :pray: Will wait until I get two reading the same over two days.

Well it's 2 weeks today that mine has been in the FV. The SG is at about 1014 which is where it was a couple of days ago so I guess it's finished. There is still some froth on top though. Does this look okay to move to the pressurised barrel that I have and do I need to add sugar? I have some CO2 cartridges that came with the kit. If it's a yes to sugar, all I have is golden granulated natural unrefined cane sugar, will that do? Sorry for all the questions. Spent hours going through all the pages on this topic and there is so much to take in.

2016-11-21 11.03.22.jpg

2016-11-21 10.56.42.jpg

Well it's 2 weeks today that mine has been in the FV. The SG is at about 1014 which is where it was a couple of days ago so I guess it's finished. There is still some froth on top though. Does this look okay to move to the pressurised barrel that I have and do I need to add sugar? I have some CO2 cartridges that came with the kit. If it's a yes to sugar, all I have is golden granulated natural unrefined cane sugar, will that do?
If it's been in the FV for 2 weeks and the SG is stable then you can go ahead and put it into your PB. It also looks like its clearing which is also a good sign
At SG 1.014 it will be slightly sweet to the taste but OK.
You can prime using your sugar, I suggest using 85g-90g. This should get you down to at least half way down the PB before you need to reprime or inject CO2.

If it's been in the FV for 2 weeks and the SG is stable then you can go ahead and put it into your PB. It also looks like its clearing which is also a good sign
You can prime using your sugar, I suggest using 85g-90g. This should get you down to at least half way down the PB before you need to reprime or inject CO2.
Interesting contradiction within the Woodfordes Wherry instructions for the amount of priming sugar needed. The instructions on the back of the box say 100g. The small pull out leaflet thing inside the box with the tins says 85g. I queried this with Muntons, who manufacture the Woodfordes kit, and they say 100g.

Interesting contradiction within the Woodfordes Wherry instructions for the amount of priming sugar needed. The instructions on the back of the box say 100g. The small pull out leaflet thing inside the box with the tins says 85g. I queried this with Muntons, who manufacture the Woodfordes kit, and they say 100g.
If you are adding to 23 litres of beer which you want to bottle, 100g sugar might be about right (just under 2.0 vols CO2). However there is a nominal limit of 90g priming sugar which you can put into PBs due to overpressure requirements, although I know some folk on here put more in, but they must have a way of dispensing their beer without initially getting an inch of beer and four inches of foam in their glass.

If you are adding to 23 litres of beer which you want to bottle, 100g sugar might be about right (just under 2.0 vols CO2). However there is a nominal limit of 90g priming sugar which you can put into PBs due to overpressure requirements, although I know some folk on here put more in, but they must have a way of dispensing their beer without initially getting an inch of beer and four inches of foam in their glass.
Ok. Good to know. Thanks.
My fermenting Wherry is destined for a PB. I have another Woodfordes variation that is destined for bottles. So the priming sugar only affects the amount of carbonation? No impact on the final alcohol content?

Ok. Good to know. Thanks.
My fermenting Wherry is destined for a PB. I have another Woodfordes variation that is destined for bottles. So the priming sugar only affects the amount of carbonation? No impact on the final alcohol content?
The priming sugar generates CO2 and alcohol. There will be a small increase in the ABV from this; the calculator suggests 0.16% from a nominal 100g cane sugar in 23 litres.

Cool, I will get on and do that today :)

Thanks for all of the invaluable info you have given me over the last couple of weeks, much appreciated. Looking forward to many years of brewing :)

I am in a bit of a dilemma!
Sanitised my PB and everything else, prepared the sugar in 1/4 pint of water on the hob. Was about to start the transfer but decided to take another reading and it has dropped to 1011 after having stayed steady at 1014 for 3 days. The only thing I can think of is that the temperature went up from 20 to 22 degrees over the last 24hrs (the missus turned the heating up!).
If it is still fermenting am I in danger of causing it problems by transferring to the PB or should I leave it for another couple of days.
I had my first taste today and I must say I love it! It's got a bit of a warm after feeling which is nice :)

I am in a bit of a dilemma!
Sanitised my PB and everything else, prepared the sugar in 1/4 pint of water on the hob. Was about to start the transfer but decided to take another reading and it has dropped to 1011 after having stayed steady at 1014 for 3 days. The only thing I can think of is that the temperature went up from 20 to 22 degrees over the last 24hrs (the missus turned the heating up!).
If it is still fermenting am I in danger of causing it problems by transferring to the PB or should I leave it for another couple of days.
I had my first taste today and I must say I love it! It's got a bit of a warm after feeling which is nice :)
The safest option is to leave it until it steadies out, whether its 2 days or even longer. It wont do it any harm, provided you minimise opening up the FV.
However, are you sure that you have read the hydrometer consistently and correctly?

The safest option is to leave it until it steadies out, whether its 2 days or even longer. It wont do it any harm, provided you minimise opening up the FV.
However, are you sure that you have read the hydrometer consistently and correctly?

Okay, will do. I guess I am just a little impatient as it is my first brew.

Pretty confident on the readings as I have been taking pictures each time I take a reading.

Guys - I'd be really grateful for any help. My Wherry has been in the FV for just over two weeks. Will take a final reading in the morning, but it looks ready and I plan to put it into the barrel tomorrow.

This is my first ever brew and though I've read on here about adding the priming sugar, I can't for the life of me find the details on the forum. I'm going to add 90g of brewing sugar but can someone please confirm that it's OK to put that into the barrel and then syphon the beer onto it?

Also, from memory I need to dissolve the sugar in boiling water. Do I need to let it cool before adding it to the barrel?

Many thanks for any help.

Back