Woodfordes Wherry Review

Discussion in 'Beer Kits & Brewing Equipment Reviews.' started by jobby, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Mar 22, 2017 #781

BeerisGOD

BeerisGOD

BeerisGOD

Regular. Supporting Member

Think you chose wisely there mate. The Young's kits come with much clearer instructions. If I remember correctly they give a minimum time of three weeks in primary or advise a fg before bottling. I gave my IPA 4 weeks. I had one a couple of months back (brewed in July) and although the hops had faded it still tasted better than most bottled ipa you buy in shops.

There's plenty of stuff on here on the IPA so don't hesitate to check.

Eddie likes this.
  2. Apr 8, 2017 #782

Tanzanite

Tanzanite

Tanzanite

Regular.

Just cracked a new batch of wherry made in jan, added a few East kent goldings, nice taste but seems a bit thin and lack of body for a wherry, has any one else noticed this. ?????

3. Apr 10, 2017 #783

BeerisGOD

BeerisGOD

BeerisGOD

If you did a 23 litre batch you will find this, a few on here advise 21. It's a choice that leaves u in limbo a bit, more beer yes but weaker and as u say thinner. I'll admit I've only done one wherry but in all honesty the pint of it I had from a pub at the weekend made me realise it wasn't much better than the kit. For an AG it had a twang which surprised me. Maybe it was served a tad too cold though.
    Maybe leave it another month. I am realising four months makes a big difference on body and flavour it's just hard with the summer approaching to leave them idle 😋

4. Apr 18, 2017 #784

trummy

trummy

trummy

I have brewed a Werry and a Wilkos kit which I understand is a badged Werry. The first Werry was ok but nothing special, the Wilko kit I think must have stuck as it was 3.7 and tasted like it! I would not bother with the kit again but a friend has given me one - best before 2012! I have replaced the yeast with a packet of Gervin - sprinkled that on the made up kit in the morning, working like a trooper by the evening - will see how this turns out

5. Apr 19, 2017 #785

BeerisGOD

BeerisGOD

BeerisGOD

Wish I had friends that handed out kits..Mind you I'd need some first (smallest violin plays)

6. Apr 19, 2017 #786

trummy

trummy

trummy

I think he is expecting a few bottles!

BeerisGOD likes this.
  7. Apr 30, 2017 #787

trummy

trummy

trummy

Its been in the FV -final og 1017 started 1041 making less than 3% ABV - this was with Gervin yeast - have given it another good stir (I always stir well before pitching anyway)( Some say I am a good stirrer!) What puzzles me is the beer does not taste sweet - which I would have expected - Anyone any words of wisdom?

Cheers

8. Apr 30, 2017 #788

Tanzanite

Tanzanite

Tanzanite

Regular.

You have been diddled i am not a seeker of ABV a 4% bitter or lager is nice, i make woodfords regular , got a Nelson going at the mo, love the wherry but at 3% i would be contacting the makers, i noticed the last wherry kit i made was a bit thin are they cutting costs on the quality of the malt , i dont know,? the next wherry i make i am going to add 500g of amber spray malt and 30g of EKG hops

9. Apr 30, 2017 #789

terrym

terrym

terrym

Member Supporting Member

I have managed to restart two brews recently by moving them into a warmer place. You could try that. Anything up to about 23*C should be OK.

10. May 1, 2017 #790

trummy

trummy

trummy

Thanks for the advice. I have put the FV on a tray heater for a bit and also added a few spoons of brewing sugar - A few bubbles have appeared on the brew. I will see how it goes, if i can get the og down to around 1.010 I will be happy! Will post on the final result.

11. May 1, 2017 #791

Tanzanite

Tanzanite

Tanzanite

Regular.

For the sake of a quid, throw a wilkos nottingham ale yeast in and keep it warm:thumb:

12. May 10, 2017 #792

BeerisGOD

BeerisGOD

BeerisGOD

definitely better than the commercial bottle/pub imo. give it a month to condition or longer and you wont be dissipointed

13. May 11, 2017 #793

Jon75

Jon75

Jon75

I definitely agree with giving this a month or longer. I am just finishing my final bottle of this after a good few months and it is a very nice pint. Even though I've since moved on to extract and got everything ready for my first bbiab, I will do this kit again.

14. May 11, 2017 #794

BeerisGOD

BeerisGOD

BeerisGOD

Yes jon75. It's a kit I'll still do. Good luck with biab. There's plenty of info on here. Can't wait to do myn sat.actually UV just reminded me I've got to calculate the recipe for an 11 litre batch.

15. May 18, 2017 #795

Jon75

Jon75

Jon75

I've just added a brew day thread about how I got on with that biab.

As for the Wherry, I should mention that a few weeks ago I gave a friend at work a bottle of this along with a bottle of extract Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby Mild which I think is probably the best brew I have done so far. My colleague actually slightly preferred the Wherry.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  16. May 22, 2017 #796

trummy

trummy

trummy

Hi All
    Well I have bottled half my 2012 bbe Werry - I got it going by giving it a stir and adding a dose of brewing sugar and sticking it on a tray heater - that worked - It then stopped again so I added more sugar off it went again. It dropped to 1010 so I have primed it and bottled it. The priming sugar certainly set it off again. So does it stick because it is light on fermentable sugars? For a BBE 2012 kit it tastes ok and its been in the FV for 5 weeks needs to clear now and then I can drink the dammed stuff!

17. May 22, 2017 #797

Clint

Clint

Clint

Hammered..... Supporting Member

It could stall for a number of reasons...low temps ,dead yeast,not enough yeast..my John bull ipa stalled and I did the same..stirred it added a bit more sugar and heated it up..I settled for 1014 as I'd made it up with malt extract but only primed with around 50g on advice on kegging incase it started again. It's been kegged about 6 weeks and is very nice now. ..as I am about to confirm!

Cheers

Clint

18. May 24, 2017 #798

BeerisGOD

BeerisGOD

BeerisGOD

Hi Clint
    Where do u get the John bull IPA kit? Thinking of a partial mash
    Cheers

19. Jul 7, 2017 #799

BeerisGOD

BeerisGOD

BeerisGOD

Never thought wilkos would bump this kit up past the twenty quid mark. In fact looking at a few others I've noticed u can get cheaper at other brew stores. If u can get to them up avoid the postage.
    I guess they're noticing an increase in sales. Shame

20. Jul 7, 2017 #800

Clint

Clint

Clint

Hammered..... Supporting Member

JB kit was a Christmas present.