Beware the yeast that comes with the Wherry it's notorious for sticking at 1020. If you're getting your Wherry at Wilko split a pack of their Gervin yeast and use half the pack per individual tin or the whole pack for both tins. It's an excellent Nottingham yeast for £1.75 and it's never ever stuck on me.This was my first homebrew kit (well after making a couple of kits over 35 years ago, it counts as starting new), and I was extremely pleased with the result. This was the 20 pint complete kit version, and I brewed it almost exactly to the recipe. That is, I used 20 pints of water on top of the provided tin of LME - (never sure with some of these kit instructions whether I am supposed to top up to 20pints INCLUDING ingredients or EXCLUDING them - so far Tom Caxton seems to be the only one that explains that clearly).
OG was 1040 and it dropped to 1007 over the next week or so. I also transferred it to a second bucket to try and make it as bit-free as possible, and bottled it after 2 weeks. Managed to resist trying it for another two weeks, and I was very impressed, even more so after 8 weeks.
I bought the exact same kit again & made a second batch to make sure I could get consistent results with this one, and also to provide me with another bucket and more bottles. This time I stopped at 19 pints of water. OG 1042 & FG 1009. Same result (maybe a tiny bit tastier).
Will definitely make more of these, I hope I am right in assuming the 40 pint kit uses exactly the same malt recipe, just double the quantity i.e not watered down in any way. No reason to think they would be, it's just something I wondered after reading some of the less favourable reviews.
Anyway, this one is a definite repeat prescription for me. :Cheers:
Thanks that's good to know, I wonder if they did that in response to the stuck ferments. When I read all the previous posts about Wherry, the ones mentioning stuck ferments seem to be several months old, so hopefully it's no longer a common problem. My first two certainly bubbled away pretty rapidly :)Woodfordes kits now have 12g yeast sachets so shouldn't be a problem, but its always a good plan to have a few spares and the Wilko yeast is a good standby.
I emailed them as stuck Wherry had become a regular topic here and as far as I knew no one had contacted them, the thread is here -Yeah they did.
I can' quite remember who it was that wrot to them, (chippy tea possibly) but it certainly did the trick.
I think the posts on Wherry stuck ferments etc dried up because someone kicked up about having to read two posts a week about it and asking why people don't use the search facility.Thanks that's good to know, I wonder if they did that in response to the stuck ferments. When I read all the previous posts about Wherry, the ones mentioning stuck ferments seem to be several months old, so hopefully it's no longer a common problem. My first two certainly bubbled away pretty rapidly :)
They recently started to add the extra yeast so it must be either a mistake or old kit.Just purchased a wherry kit from Wilko, only has a 6g yeast pack.