Worcester hop shop

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommo 2

Regular.
Reaction score
Has anyone had any dealings with the Worcester hop shop and if so what was your impression; the prices of grain and hops seem really reasonable but Dilivery charge is £8.50 for anything over 3k, any help much appreciated 🍻👍

I used them a lot before they put up their delivery costs but now their grain prices are much cheaper than GEB, THBC, MM so go for it.

I used them years ago. Geterbrewed does Crisp malts around a quid a kilo, less than WHS surely?
How fresh are the WHS hops? Do they have cold storage?

I’ve used them a few times, and have found them to be pretty responsive and helpful (I.el they where happy to scale down their all grain kits on request). More recently I have used them for hops which they have seemed pretty reasonable price wise.

WHS are my go-to supplier and have used them many times. Very happy to recommend their services!

Hops in good nick?
Good question, mate. They do indicate the year of harvest and even in foil packaging there is some rate of decay, especially on the aroma side. I have never really craved the very hoppy beer that is fashionable at the moment and have, for example, never made a beer with much over 100g of hops in total.

As by far the most expensive beer ingredient, I guess that you are pretty much going to get what you pay for, hops wise. SWMBO often says much the same, often foolishly or snobbishly, IMO, but then, I know practically nothing.

I also cannot resist a "bargain" when it comes to hops, so maybe a preference for malt or yeast forward beer is a positive boon.

Good question, mate. They do indicate the year of harvest and even in foil packaging there is some rate of decay, especially on the aroma side. I have never really craved the very hoppy beer that is fashionable at the moment and have, for example, never made a beer with much over 100g of hops in total.

As by far the most expensive beer ingredient, I guess that you are pretty much going to get what you pay for, hops wise. SWMBO often says much the same, often foolishly or snobbishly, IMO, but then, I know practically nothing.

I also cannot resist a "bargain" when it comes to hops, so maybe a preference for malt or yeast forward beer is a positive boon.
Cheers Slid. Good honest answer. wink... It comes down to cold storage really, and oxygen exclusion. Some suppliers do, some don't. I have no idea about WHS and haven't bought from them in a good few years. MM prices are not much different and I know they look after theirs well. Maybe WHS does too.

I’ve bought from them a few times too. No problems at all. Hops I’ve received have been in good nick, vac packed in foil. Even the sale hops I’ve bought have been good. Have a look in the sale section. You can get 100g of some varieties for as little as 50p.

Never used them before but just had a quick look at the website. Yeast range very limited, malt around ÂŁ1 per sack cheaper than the malt miller but most seems to be crushed only I would be cautious of any supplier that only sell crushed grain with MM you know they crush it on the dispatch day so it will be fresh. Hops some cheaper some more expensive than MM think I will stick with MM.

I used them years ago. Geterbrewed does Crisp malts around a quid a kilo, less than WHS surely?
How fresh are the WHS hops? Do they have cold storage?
Just received email from nicola from the shop confirming they do indeed have cold storage for there hops, I asked the question at the weekend , so all good so far but might get in touch again soon asking why all grain is crushed and none for sale that’s whole

They do Maris Otter uncrushed in 25kg sacks and that is all.
The bought in crushed grain 25kg sacks will be as provided, no doubt.

Latest posts

Back