Working out M2...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint

Forum jester...🏅🏆
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all
I'm working out or trying to,how much floor wax stuff I need...I usually X by X = m2 but I'm getting different answers when it comes to working out tread area??
Each tread is 25cm X 75cm or there abouts and there are 11...
I'm getting...22.68 M2...

Last edited:
Well I make it just over 2m2

0.25m x 0.75m = 0.1875m2 per tread

0.1875m2 x 11 treads = 2.0625m2

That's for just the top treads, not sure if you are doing the risers?

Could also be well off, I was taught in ft & inches :confused.:

Yes I've done it that way...now try...multiplying the individual measurements by 11...
11 X .25 = 2.75
+
11 X .75= 8.25
=22.68
2.06m2 is 2m X 1m roughly so 6ft x3ft ish
Just the length of the treads altogether equates to 8.25m.
The total width equates to 2.75m...
Which multiplied gives 22.68m2...
So which is correct?
Confused...yes I am...I think I'm mixed up by M2 and square meters..
Is 2.06m2 2m X 2 m..so 6ft X 6 ft?

Last edited:
If you try and visualise it as just wood you can have 11 lengths end to end ( 11 x 0.75) = 8.25m
They will still be .25m wide.

You are making a rectangle that is both 11 treads wide as well as 11 treads long, a ball room!

So...to further confuse myself...
Treads...8.25 X .25
Platform.... .80 X .75
Landing... 1.50 X 2.70
Should I add them to get total area?
Using the paint/wax calculator on the site I'm looking at gives huge difference if you add them as two numbers or put the three separate in and add the three together...

Yep work them out separately and then add them together (plus a bit extra to be sure) :thumb:

Good point about the risers mind. Normally 228mm iirc so about the same again as the treads.

It's weird...if I put the total length X width in the suppliers calculator it says for two coats I need around 3 litres... individual,added amounts give less than a litre...their product guide says up to 24m2 per litre...I know this depends on your wood etc but nothing adds up!
I'll buy on 2.5 litre colour tint to do two coats as Mrs Clint wants it coloured and there's wood staining I'm not sanding out plus they advise a top coat of clear for high traffic areas..so a litre of that.
Ruddy heck...wish I'd never started!

Latest posts

Back