Worst commercial beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linalmeemow

Landlord.
Reaction score
Someone suggested starting a new thread for this, so here it is.

I used to think there was a time and place for pretty much all beers - I'm even quite fond of the dreadful generic Euro lagers that come in those stubby bottles from all supermarkets at a barbecue on a hot summer day. However, there are some appalling beers around that I can't understand why anyone would drink. For example:

Carling
Boddingtons
John Smiths

There are any number more, but these stick out as tasting appalling and being too weak to get the job done...

Now that Greenhall's has gone it has to be Robinsons for me

I would have said F*****RS but it's not a beer, is it?

Nope, but it's incredibly popular for some reason. Is it cheap, or just a demonstration of the power of advertising on gullible youths? Anyways, the hatred for John Smiths puzzles me a little. I was brought up on the stuff so developed a liking at an early age. Mind you, I haven't had any for ages so maybe,like Guinness, it's been degraded into a shadow of its former self?

Someone suggested starting a new thread for this, so here it is.

I used to think there was a time and place for pretty much all beers - I'm even quite fond of the dreadful generic Euro lagers that come in those stubby bottles from all supermarkets at a barbecue on a hot summer day. However, there are some appalling beers around that I can't understand why anyone would drink. For example:

Carling
Boddingtons
John Smiths

There are any number more, but these stick out as tasting appalling and being too weak to get the job done...

Im taking the credit 😉

... anything that pretends to be a posh beer, through marketing, but isn't. Bud ... and to my mind anything that is cloudy, comes from Belgium and tastes of bubble gum ... coriander & orange peel, I mean what is that, why spoil the taste of a decent beer. I guess a lot of people will disagree with me on that one.
At least John Smiths and Carling is meant to be pish ... it doesn't pretend otherwise ... Boddington's, don't know, haven't tried it for years but I have seen a couple of posts from people who drank the "old" Boddington's and reckon it used to be decent, a long time ago.
And I have tried the so-called Boddington's strain from Wyeast ... with excellent results.

Bud - the American one, Yes I did try one (once)
Boddingtons
Most of the so called generic 'Lagers' - esp. the cheap supermarket ones.

old Lancs. wisdom --
'There's nowt like a good glass of beer lad - and that were nowt like a good glass of beer!

Cheers

Nope, but it's incredibly popular for some reason. Is it cheap, or just a demonstration of the power of advertising on gullible youths? Anyways, the hatred for John Smiths puzzles me a little. I was brought up on the stuff so developed a liking at an early age. Mind you, I haven't had any for ages so maybe,like Guinness, it's been degraded into a shadow of its former self?

the bean counters have been busy that's why so many good beers have gone downhill.

I recall having a wonderful stella artois 5.2% served perfectly from the brewers fayre!! in gorseinon. Delicious with a fruitiness to it. That was the best pint of stella I ever had. how times change and not always for the better :-(

Despite the rise and rise of craft ale most people in the world drink **** beer. It's because they dont know any better. If you've been told, 'this is beer', and been handed a budwieser/carling/john smiths since you took your first drink you'll believe it and continue to drink **** beer until you discover otherwise

Despite the rise and rise of craft ale most people in the world drink **** beer. It's because they dont know any better. If you've been told, 'this is beer', and been handed a budwieser/carling/john smiths since you took your first drink you'll believe it and continue to drink **** beer until you discover otherwise
There's some excellent craft beers out there but there's also the flip side as I recall a local by NI area and it was the worst craft ale I've ever tried and yes it has been sold all over Norn Iron so to me it is commercial and only remember it's name had something to do about a farm.
Tenants,Carslberg, Heineken and Harp all lagers to name a few give me so much gas and the hangovers from hell and I refuse to drink them.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

There's some excellent craft beers out there but there's also the flip side as I recall a local by NI area and it was the worst craft ale I've ever tried and yes it has been sold all over Norn Iron so to me it is commercial and only remember it's name had something to do about a farm.
Tenants,Carslberg, Heineken and Harp all lagers to name a few give me so much gas and the hangovers from hell and I refuse to drink them.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Farmageddon or Hillstown farm maybe? Both local breweries, though most of what I've had from Farmageddon has been pretty decent, Hillstown not so much.

I find it hard to believe that only 5-6 years ago all I drank were the **** lagers mentioned, I can't imagine having 1 now.

IMO as follows

Worst lager - Fosters, I know carling gets a bad rep (which is pretty deserved) but fosters is another level below for me.. Fizzy sweet "Irn Bru orange" pish which has a twang.. a dirty flavour

Worst Bitter - John Smiths, tastes like creamy chemicals to me..

Worst Ale type - Green King IPA, bland and really boring, should be done for trade description on the IPA

Farmageddon or Hillstown farm maybe? Both local breweries, though most of what I've had from Farmageddon has been pretty decent, Hillstown not so much.
Surely not Farmageddon? while I wouldn't say any of them are my favourites they're all reasonably decent beers...

I'd have to say McGargles - one of the rare times I've brought a pint back cos it's just **** beer!

There's a special place in hell reserved for whoever came up with Desperados - nasty beer flavoured alcopop rubbish.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

John Smith's is disgusting. Can't believe I used to drink the stuff all the time.

Carling and bud don't taste like anything to me. Not necessarily bad just bland. Good for high volume parties.

I've only ever poured one beer away because I couldn't stand the taste. Withens Pale Ale.

Latest posts

Back