Worst mistakes & Feck ups (Merged)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewing my first Smash, somehow I ended up with a very high OG with about 10 mins of boil remaining so did a quick calculation and added 2.5 litres water to bring it back on target. I didn't consider that of course this then reduced the bitterness and aroma to the point where I have a very bland beer. I am still drinking it though but it needs to be quite cold to be drinkable
Congratulations! You have just re-invented the British incarnation of "lager"!

Made a Munich stout.

Wort in the fermenter, grab the yeast and it says WB-06, not S-04. No other yeast in the house. In it went. Turned out surprisingly good.

Y'know how you have to be extra careful with the PB tap when drawing off the first few pints (to avoid a massive gush of face, clothes and garage-covering foam)?
Well, this week I absolutely did not turn the tap off in the wrong direction after painstakingly pouring a virgin pint.

Threads Merged - C_T.

Today, half asleep, I’ve just added 200g of oats to the mash for a kolsch! No idea what that will do it but I’m guessing it’s not going to be crisp and lager like! Maybe more like a cream ale???

Anyone else getting themselves into trouble today brewing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not today but my two most recent brews:

Transferring the finished beer to keg I was struck by how much was left in the fermenter when the keg was full. Initially I put it down to my adding the latest wort to the just emptied fermenter with the surplus being what was left of the previous batch. It was only later that I realised that the surplus was caused by my using the wrong keg. The one I'd put the beer in had 5 litres of sanitiser in it. I don't know if it would have been safe to drink or not but I didn't really fancy drinking all those chemicals so I threw it away. Its a shame because I drank one of the uncontaminated bottles last night and its bloody lovely.

I have a Fermzilla and, when it was empty I recovered the yeast by unscrewing the tub at the bottom. To prevent it making a mess in the fridge I put the lid on but didn't think this through properly because when I came to use it a couple of days later it was impossible to remove due to the pressure that had built up. As I don't need the lid I thought the best way to release the pressure and get to the yeast would be to drill a small hole in it. Again I didn't think it through and gave no consideration to what might happen when you suddenly release, via a 3mm hole, the high pressure that is on a litre of yeast. It took two hours to clean the yeast from the ceiling, windows, walls and kitchen units

Pushing the rubber airlock bung right through into the FV where it sat for 7 weeks (Czech Pils) luckily no rubbery after taste.
Messing my water profile in my last stout and adding way too much chloride, still carbonating so hope this one will be okay.

Went to sample my Verdant Pulp ipa from the corny keg,had sanitised the party tap and line etc and had reassembled everything but had left the stainless jubilee clip off the pipe onto the beer out ball lock post pipe connector,consequently as soon as i pushed it onto the keg the line blew off spraying beer all over the kitchen walls and ceiling 30 minutes before the wife was due back from work,never worked so fast in my life clearing the mess up😂😂

Just remembered 2 more-
1.Not screwing the lifting lugs onto the malt pipe on my first ever Braumeister brew day making it nigh on impossible to lift the malt tube out after mashing.😡
2. Realising the silicon end cap for the hop filter in the base had fallen off and was floating in the wort after pulling the malt tube on the Grainfather so pulled the filter assembly out but then pushed it back onto the temp probe instead of the pump outlet😆

Just remembered 2 more-
1.Not screwing the lifting lugs onto the malt pipe on my first ever Braumeister brew day making it nigh on impossible to lift the malt tube out after mashing.😡
2. Realising the silicon end cap for the hop filter in the base had fallen off and was floating in the wort after pulling the malt tube on the Grainfather so pulled the filter assembly out but then pushed it back onto the temp probe instead of the pump outlet😆

Did the same last Saturday with the lugs, had to wait until the wife got back so she could screw the bottom ones on whilst I held it up! I’ve also forgot to put the bottom filter plate and mesh in the malt pipe once before and had to scoop everything out!

last weekend i cleared out the garage and had to pay someone £150 to come and collect the monumental amount of stuff that needed to go to the tip.

i keep my grain in an airtight barrel which had been kept outside due to garage being packed with nonsense. i'd piled up all the rubbish where the barrel was kept so it got taken too...

£70 worth of grain destroyed and £30 to replace the barrel.

Hi. I could actually become a frequent in here. I seem to be messing up a lot recently. Any how one of my most recent. Set the fermzilla with a turbocider recepie. Day four came home to find cider every where in my brewery. I say every where and I mean EVERYWHERE. Turns out the spunding valve failed. And you know the pressure relief valve on it? They are for just that. Not for emergency life saving and letting go. I spent 1.5 days cleaning up sickly smelling vinegar. Cleaning walls , celings , every thing on the floor. Items on shelf and in buckets. Every thing. Blew my fermzilla clean up. Looks like a boiled egg with the top sliced off. Only holding on by 1 inch. Also blew one of the threaded adapters off. Speaking to my neighbour he heard it explode from inside his house. It's all on my Instagram account.

1.5 days of solid cleaning
1 fermzilla body
1 fermzilla lid

Because I'm bloody minded I kept the left mixture to see it through the ferment

Trying to save time by taking a gravity reading by floating a fragile laboratory hydrometer directly in my tall 36 gallon capacity cylindriconical FV instead of in a sample jar. The fermentation had progressed faster than I expected, so to my horror I and watching it sink out of sight, where it very effectively plugged the bottom outlet!

Dropped the thermometer in the fv thinking it was my hydrometer - doh ! :roll:
Sanitised my arm and retrieved it no harm done.

Also done the pushing grommet through lid thing and at least twice swilled one out of the fv after sanitising bits and bobs.

On my latest brew I managed to add an extra 500gm of malt so now my US pale ale is 7.1% rather than planned 5.5%.
Tasted a sample when I dry hopped it and was really nice so am now deciding whether to leave as is or liquor it back ? 😗

This weekend i opened up a fermenter fully of sanitiser. From the bottom using a triclamp!! idiot

Then after that my son came in and knocked my bucket blaster . it was being used cleaning out a corney. nice.

Latest posts

Back