Wort Chilling

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I have a query about wort chilling. I've recently started using a counterflow chiller rather than the immersion chiller I used to use. One function of cooling the wort as a whole with the immersion chiller was that the Irish Moss would cause the proteins to precipitate out during the cold break and get caught in the hop bed on the way into the fermenter.

However, as the counterflow chiller simply chills the wort on its way into the fermenter, after it's passed the hop bed and hop strainer, I don't see how this can happen. I wondered about recirculating the wort back into the kettle with the counterflow chiller until it was close to pitching temperature and then diverting it into the fermenter, but Grainfather advise against it (or, at least, say it's not necessary).

I'd be interested to hear advice! For my first brew with the counterflow chiller, I realised I'd forgotten to get any Irish moss anyway, so it's largely irrelevant 😄

Ah, so the Irish Moss will still cause flocculation, it's just that it'll happen within the chiller itself and then the clumps will just settle in the fermenter rather than in the kettle. Thanks - makes perfect sense!

Latest posts

Back