Wort cooling

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big yogi

Reaction score
Hi guys
last resort before selling my kit.

I have moved house and i don't have a tap that would fit a hose to it.
Are there any other way's that i can cool the wort without using the wort chiller?
I have a spare maxi chiller but was told the hot wort might damage it.
Any feedback would be appreciated, I don't want to go back to kits if i don't need too.

I use one of these on my tap in my brew room ( wife calls it the laundry). It's for a round tap.
IMG_20210513_095633_1.jpg

This is another option to fit a hose on a tap
https://www.hozelock.com/product/mixer-tap-connector/

I've got a large (50L) plastic tank I fill with water which is then gravity fed through the chiller coil then through a hose to a drain. Have a Hozelock tap connector to fill the tank which runs from the kitchen sink - tank is filled at any convenient time (when kitchen not in use).

I've got a large (50L) plastic tank I fill with water which is then gravity fed through the chiller coil then through a hose to a drain. Have a Hozelock tap connector to fill the tank which runs from the kitchen sink - tank is filled at any convenient time (when kitchen not in use).
i have only got a 1 bed flat, don't have the space

How about taking the shower head off the hose and then you could connect to that, the thread is a standard size can't remember which. Or unscrew hose from mixer and attach there. Not so good if you don't have a shower.

Hi big Yogi, you could do no chill which a lot on here do including me even though i have 2 chillers, after the boil let it rest awhile then transfer to fv put the lid on and leave over night pitch yeast the following day
This looks like the way i will do my next batch, are there no risk of infection doing this way?

It must be possible. If your kitchen tap is relatively modern with an aerator then you have a thread you can get started with.

This is my brewery tap, it's a bit Heath Robinson but I have:

- The bit at the top where the black band is is where the aerator would screw on
- Instead I have screwed on a female to female connector with the same thread (long smooth bit) - I can't remember now if this is the aerator itself or a connector I bought separately. If it's the aerator then it is threaded at both ends.
- Into that I have screwed a [aerator thread size?] -> 1/2" BSP reducer
- And a cam lock type A completes it

This gives me a quick disconnect to allow me to use it as a tap but also to connect to my 1/2" BSP counterflow chiller (and, I think, most plate chillers etc). But I am sure you could attach cam locks to an immersion chiller if you wanted to.

If you need the exact dimensions of the [aerator thread size?] then I'm sure I can find it. Not sure if there is one industry standard thread.

Edit: looking at this I wonder if I have made it more complicated than I need so I am going to have a look at the weekend 😅. But it works fine.

Attachments

• Tap.png
    Tap.png
    194.2 KB · Views: 26
I fitted a splitter to our dishwasher supply ( same as washing machine supply ) with isolator so that the fridge water filter could have a cold main feed. You could attach a hose connector to that as it's a standard half inch bsp and then run a hosepipe to the bathroom ( sounds like your brew area).

Latest posts

Back