Wort cooling

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This looks like the way i will do my next batch, are there no risk of infection doing this way?
Yogi a word of warning. I used to do no chill when I went all grain and got about 25% ruined batches especially in summer. Then in 2014 I made a chiller using copper pipe, from then until last week never had a ruined batch. But last week had to pour away 32 bottles of APA as it was phenolic. I checked my notes and it was a batch I didn't chill just transferred to fermenter and left overnight. Never again will I no chill.

This looks like the way i will do my next batch, are there no risk of infection doing this way?

Hi @big yogi

I did no chill for about two years without an issue. I transferred my hot wort to an air tight chilling 'cube' that had been cleaned and sanitised (although there's really no need to sanitise as the hot wort will kill it with fire). Left overnight in my garage, the wort was at pitching temperature the next day.

There's a few videos on YouTube explaining stuff, like this one

It's done a lot in places where folks are either on a water meter or they live in near constant drought conditions like Australia.

yeah i have bath and sink taps but they are very large mixer taps, i would't get anything to put over them.

Lots of mixer taps have a bit where the water comes out that un screws and you can get adaptors that screw into that to fit a standard hosepipe fitting to. The bit that unscrews is the bit that if you get under the tap and look is the part that changes the flow of water into more of a spray. Hard to explain. I can take pics of mine if you like, might explain it better?

I bought a very simple adapter on Ebay - it has a hoselock male connector and a 22mm male threaded part which screws into the aerator socket on my tap.

tI can't find the exact one I bought, but this is another way of doing it.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304023590494?hash=item46c937d65e:g:XVUAAOSwzGRgvMrHThis would work with a standard Hoselock 1/2" BSP fitting.

You will need to check thread sizes, but if your tap is 24mm there are adapters available.

The suggestion @RoomWithABrew made is similar to the one I was going to make as reading the thread. In your position, and assuming I wasn't renting, I'd just cut into a handy cold water pipe and add an appliance tap and attach something to that whenever brewing. All pretty easy with push fit.

my problem is that its just a 1 bedroom flat, .
I don't want to trail a hose through my kitchen/living room /hall.
I had a look at my bath tap, it has a screw in fitting underneath which would be better for me, the hose wouldn't be in the way in the bathroom which would be ideal for me.
off to screwfix nowthumb.
Thanks for all the feedback guys

It must be possible. If your kitchen tap is relatively modern with an aerator then you have a thread you can get started with.

This is my brewery tap, it's a bit Heath Robinson but I have:

- The bit at the top where the black band is is where the aerator would screw on
- Instead I have screwed on a female to female connector with the same thread (long smooth bit) - I can't remember now if this is the aerator itself or a connector I bought separately. If it's the aerator then it is threaded at both ends.
- Into that I have screwed a [aerator thread size?] -> 1/2" BSP reducer
- And a cam lock type A completes it

This gives me a quick disconnect to allow me to use it as a tap but also to connect to my 1/2" BSP counterflow chiller (and, I think, most plate chillers etc). But I am sure you could attach cam locks to an immersion chiller if you wanted to.

If you need the exact dimensions of the [aerator thread size?] then I'm sure I can find it. Not sure if there is one industry standard thread.

Edit: looking at this I wonder if I have made it more complicated than I need so I am going to have a look at the weekend 😅. But it works fine.
Thanks for the advice, didn't realise that was a screw in ha hah

I've always done no chill. Finish the boil, leave it for 30 minutes to let it settle, then transfer to FV still hot. Pop the lid on - where's the infection risk?
I start brewing at 9 am so I'm done by half one. At bed time (11) I chuck in the yeast and that's it. It's probably still about 30c by then but the yeast doesn't seem to mind.

I have a wort cooler but hate wasting the water my rain water but is full so I shal be leaving my wort to cool overnight as Dave and Cryill did . Mined you in the summer I use 2 litre lemonande bottles filled with frozen salted water with an insulated jacket around my fermenter.

I put my brews in a container with a reasonably tight fitting lid overnight (I guess you might call it a cube -it's actually the container my husbands diving rebreather Sofnolime comes in!) and let them cool - not had any problems with infections at all. I just got bored with the faff of using a chilling coil.

Thanks I have a food grade cube with a bit like a jerry can, I am fed up with the chiliing coil and all that wasted water, I will be brewing an IPA next weekend,e it a go, so I will give it a go. I will post my findings after.

It must be possible. If your kitchen tap is relatively modern with an aerator then you have a thread you can get started with.

This is my brewery tap, it's a bit Heath Robinson but I have:

- The bit at the top where the black band is is where the aerator would screw on
- Instead I have screwed on a female to female connector with the same thread (long smooth bit) - I can't remember now if this is the aerator itself or a connector I bought separately. If it's the aerator then it is threaded at both ends.
- Into that I have screwed a [aerator thread size?] -> 1/2" BSP reducer
- And a cam lock type A completes it

This gives me a quick disconnect to allow me to use it as a tap but also to connect to my 1/2" BSP counterflow chiller (and, I think, most plate chillers etc). But I am sure you could attach cam locks to an immersion chiller if you wanted to.

If you need the exact dimensions of the [aerator thread size?] then I'm sure I can find it. Not sure if there is one industry standard thread.

Edit: looking at this I wonder if I have made it more complicated than I need so I am going to have a look at the weekend 😅. But it works fine.

I did a brew at the weekend and it got me thinking about the tap. As expected - (see my edit) most of the assembly is unnecessary. A 1/2" BSP camlock type F (male thread) screws directly into the thread where the aerator is supposed to go. My setup is now simply tap-camlock (-hose - chiller). If you have an aerator tap it's definitely worth trying a type F camlock!

I came up with a bit of an unorthodox solution for this exact issue: I installed a Gardena/hozelock quick release on my washing machine tap. Then I installed connectors on my washing machine hose and the hose to my spiral cooler so I can easily switch them around when needed. It has worked well for the last 2 years with no issues to my washing machine.

Attachments

• 20211208_112656.jpg
    20211208_112656.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 12
Back