Wort level in FV

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jthomas

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am just about to start my first beer and one question still bothers me. My fermenting bucket is 25L (27 to top) is it enough for 23 litre wort/batch?
How much room (in litres or inches) should be safe for 23L? I have heard/saw stories about exploging FV in first stage of fermentations, so I am worried a bit?

#1 dont seal the lid or stand on carpet without newspaper/binbag matting to protect the floor, a healthy yeast population can sprout an active 'kraussen' (big foamy yeast head), and when it happens it shows you have done lots of things right!!

Its unlikely to ocour but it can and does happen so being prepared is a Very good idea and planning for it in advance is wise. large garden centre gravel trays and old cat litter trays have been used to stand brewbuckets in ;)..

#2 dont trust the volume markings on a bucket (or any volume markings comer to that..) , think of them more as art work than measures you can rely on, get a sharpie and a 1l jug and regrade your bucket.. confirm a 1l jug measure as it should weigh 1 kg on good electric scales ;)

you will need enough headroom in the bucket to accommodate you lumping if full from ground level to waist /counter top height for gravity draining.. and to accommodate a moderate Kraussen say 4-5" above the liquid level,

If however any yeasty foam does climb out of the bucket, give yourself a pat on the back for a job well done providing the yeast with a good environment and just wipe it up asap using just a clean damp cloth you have boiled first to sanitise, dont use any soaps or detergents, and keep the lid on and only once it has died down consider removing the lid and cleaning it and the bucket rim again with a preboiled to sanitise clean damp cloth.

you can also simply brew a kit a few litres short without any other changes it will result in a nominally stronger beer alcohol and flavour wise.
to maintain the same abv simply cut down on the sugar additions if any, you can google for calculators to help work out how much.

In addition to the above, I also suggest that you use a Blow-Off Tube rather than the traditional air-lock.

The first photograph explains what a Blow-Off Tube is and the second photograph shows a wort trying to escape and having already filled the original 500ml bottle was diverted into a bigger receptacle!

The secret is to assume that it IS going to happen and keep everything protected for when it does! (e.g. DON'T stand your FV on the expensive Persian carpet that Grandma gave you as a wedding present!) :lol:

Bubble Tube.jpg

Blow Off.jpg

I've been brewing beer in 25L fermenters for many years and never yet had one go over. I'm sure it will happen on day but it's not a frequent occurrence. I don't use airlocks or blow off tubes I just put the lid on then crack it open slightly over a couple of inches to let the gas escape. I do brew in a brew fridge though so it keeps any beasties (fruit flies) away.

That said I've recently started wine making and the Cellar 7 Cab Sav I've got on the go at the moment in a 25L bin has managed to make a fair old mess! The gallon of pineapple WOW I did recently in a demijohn also tried to escape through the airlock.

Thanks Dutto I prefer to be secured I know muphies laws and they worked few time, so better to not have house full of bits and juices hehe, I will use blow off tube just to sleep safe 😀

Latest posts

Back