Wort recirculation Vs not

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I started with those mini "solar" pumps. I would not do that again if I had my time over.

I found that they needed a lot of stripping down and rebuilding. They would jam at even the slightest hint of a particle getting in. The only way of controlling flow is to use a PWM circuit (or some voltage regulation).

I have now gone to a larger mag pump with a ball valve on the outlet. It is bomb proof as far as I can see.

I agree @umfana , the small 12 volt solar pumps can block easily. I use one in my HERMS circuit but as I hold the grain in a nylon bag in the mash tun, it stops bits getting into the circuit and blocking the pump.
Also, ever since I managed to grow a nice crop of black mould inside my pumps, I always take them apart after brew day to clean and, more importantly, let them dry completely before putting them back together.
BTW I use a model railway controller (from my model railway) to adjust the speed of the pumps. Works a treat.

I started with those mini "solar" pumps. I would not do that again if I had my time over.

I found that they needed a lot of stripping down and rebuilding. They would jam at even the slightest hint of a particle getting in. The only way of controlling flow is to use a PWM circuit (or some voltage regulation).

I have now gone to a larger mag pump with a ball valve on the outlet. It is bomb proof as far as I can see.
I've used mine on a bunch of brews with no problem. I always clean it out after use with water. Never had to take it apart, I do however have a bazooka filter installed.

I agree @umfana , the small 12 volt solar pumps can block easily. I use one in my HERMS circuit but as I hold the grain in a nylon bag in the mash tun, it stops bits getting into the circuit and blocking the pump.
Also, ever since I managed to grow a nice crop of black mould inside my pumps, I always take them apart after brew day to clean and, more importantly, let them dry completely before putting them back together.
BTW I use a model railway controller (from my model railway) to adjust the speed of the pumps. Works a treat.
I just use the tap to control flow.

The Klarstein Fullhorn has a much better digital thermostat and is only a few quid more
View attachment 42079

I am now the proud owner of this (well on Monday anyway)...my brother very generously bought me one for my birthday so I will be whole grain from here on in. Just received my 1st delivery from the malt Miller too to make a kolsch and a pilsner so thanks for the suggestion

Latest posts

Back