Wort recirculation Vs not

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren Jeory

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm looking at getting an electric mash kettle (grainfather too expensive) and I've noticed that klarstein do a range and from what I can see there is over £100 difference between one that recirculates the wort and one that doesn't.

How much of an advantage is having the recirculation and what difference would it make to the final brew?

Thanks

If I was buying again I'd go for recirculation, definitely. It makes holding a steady mash temperature easier. Another mistake I made was buying a 25 L kettle and 25 L fermenters. Should have got a 30 L kettle.

I thought Klarstein weren't shipping to the UK at the moment? Though Amazon might do them...

Recirculating helps with a stable and equalised mash temperature throughout the brew, you don't need a pump, I do it quite successfully by hand with a jug but it does require constant attention and I like to monitor the temperature at the top with a probe as well as at the bottom with the built in (less accurate) thermostat. Of course its quite easy to buy a recirculation pump and fit at a later date, something I intended to do but have not bothered with as yet.

I'm a recirculater. My mash tun is a cool box so I recirculate the wort through a water heated hear exchange. Better temperature control. I also recirculate my strike water during heating to ensure uniform temperature.

The theory tells you that if you "lauter" i.e. wash the wort through the grain bed you will reduce haziness and increase mash efficiency
Not necessarily a response to your statement . . . . but fits in nicely.

I am finding after 3 Brewzilla brews (with recirculation) that my wort is coming out clearer, thus backing up OBD's point above.

However, there are some All-In-One users that advocate stirring the wort at (say) 20 and 40 mins to improve extraction. Surely that is going to release all the particles that have been captured in the grain bed. No?

I was looking at this as a possible step up from a standard brew kettle on a stove top

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Klarstein-...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Is it worth it?
Hi DJ

It's all a question of budget

I have been using one of these Klarstein's for about four years now and have recently upgraded to a Brew Devil and the difference is very noticeable

The Klarstein is good but the temperature control (which of course is important in mashing) is not very exact (a dial) and the thermostat can be a little flakey

It's all about what you are moving from - if you lived near me (S Cheshire) I'd be happy to loan you mine to see what you think

I have the Klarstein Maischfest 25L. Size wise, the 25 L suits me as I am a very frequent brewer who likes to have a hoard of different styles on the go. But a 30 L never hurt!

As for the recirculation, if I had the budget when I bought mine I would have gone for the recirculation option. I have found, as mentioned, that the mash temp can be a little off. Unless I switch mine off during the mash I find temps reaching 71 degrees C in the grain bed when the heating kicks in. Along with keeping a stable temp, it does help to circulate for a clearer wort.

I have just bought a solar pump and the gubbins to go with to see if this helps! It came to about £35-40 altogether.

Here is a little thread about the Klarstein setup that I was asking about a few weeks ago:

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/klarstein-maischfest-and-mashing.92415/#post-1003396
I will say though, for the price the kit is good and I am not unhappy in the slightest.

The Klarstein is good but the temperature control (which of course is important in mashing) is not very exact (a dial) and the thermostat can be a little flakey
The Klarstein Fullhorn has a much better digital thermostat and is only a few quid more
fullhorn.JPG

However, there are some All-In-One users that advocate stirring the wort at (say) 20 and 40 mins to improve extraction. Surely that is going to release all the particles that have been captured in the grain bed. No?
I was also wondering about this.

I brewed at the weekend and stirred at 20 & 40 mins then started recirculating.
I wanted to try and get the wort clear as possible so let it run through the mash out until it was clear.
It took a further 30 mins which was far longer in mash out than I had intended.

Next time I’ll try starting recirculation at 20, skip the stir at 40 mins and see how that affects the numbers.

You are always going to get hot and cold spots in the mash, especially within the first half hour until the starch starts to convert. The Brau Meister stirs itself every 15 minutes with the pump break. The read out on the screen is the most accurate no need to use thermometers checking the top of the mash, it's the wort beneath the mash tun that is important that is what is being recirculated. I have seen two set ups with paddles to stir the wort, one was on an American forum using an icecream maker motor, the other on a German site using a windscreen wiper motor. Simplest method, a paddle, stir every 10 minutes for the first half hour until the mash has thinned out. If your crush is right then the recirculation will dump any bits on the top of the grain bed, to fine and you will end up with bits going into the boil.

I made my own brew kettle from two brewing buckets to which I added two 1500w elements, a bazooka filter and a brewing pump. It set me back like 50 quid. It works great. Before I added the pump it was hard to keep the temp right. I've since also added a temp controller, itc 308 to which I connect one of my heat elements. I'll be posting a vid soon just have to finish my other vid about DIY magnetic stirrer.

I was looking at this as a possible step up from a standard brew kettle on a stove top

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Klarstein-...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Is it worth it?
I have the model before that one, apart from the cooling not being included I would say it does same as GF my beers have improved using it and recirc is worth the extra to improve efficiency and keep stable temps. Mine is over 3 years old never had an issue with it, you can get some build up on the bottom from sugars but it can be easily cleaned off. the display on this one looks better as mine doesnt like sunlight too much

I made my own brew kettle from two brewing buckets to which I added two 1500w elements, a bazooka filter and a brewing pump. It set me back like 50 quid. It works great. Before I added the pump it was hard to keep the temp right. I've since also added a temp controller, itc 308 to which I connect one of my heat elements. I'll be posting a vid soon just have to finish my other vid about DIY magnetic stirrer.

This is BEGGING for a step by step with photos:laugh8:

This is BEGGING for a step by step with photos:laugh8:
Here are some old picks, ive since then shortened the pump tubing. I'm making a show and how to on my new youtube channel soon. Go and subscribe and you'll be notified when its out ;)

SmallSpacesBrewing

Attachments

• IMG-20180822-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20180822-WA0002.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG-20181109-WA0025.jpeg
    IMG-20181109-WA0025.jpeg
    16.1 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG-20190517-WA0036.jpg
    IMG-20190517-WA0036.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 83
Hi DJ

It's all a question of budget

I have been using one of these Klarstein's for about four years now and have recently upgraded to a Brew Devil and the difference is very noticeable

It's all about what you are moving from - if you lived near me (S Cheshire) I'd be happy to loan you mine to see what you think

Just checked and its actually cheaper than the one I was gonna get on Amazon:laugh8:

Latest posts

Back