Worth a shot

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labrewski

Landlord.
Reaction score
Im thinking about getting 3 kg malt from Holland and barret adding mj u.s west coast yeast m44 a hop tea of 25 g comet and 25g Columbus hops at the start and finishing with a dry hop of the same around 18 day's in for 3 days any one any reason why i should not try this could it be a waste of time and money ??

That sounds like a cheap brew, not tried Holland and barret. Hope it's a good batch.

What do you mean malt? Malt extract, as Im not aware the sell malted barley (they sell flaked barley though as I buy that all the time)? A H&B malt extract brew definately works as other forumites have done this sucessfully in the past (do a forum search for the relevant threads). I use H&B malt extract for starters occasionally

I did some small brews with such Meridian malt extract (Holland & Barret doesn't have malt extract on the continent, but some bioshops have Meridian). That succeeded reasonably. I actually used this to propagate yeast, but with proper boiling with hops and fermentation, and bottled the result.

Yes, definitely possible.

Beware, the MJ44 ferments rather deep. I get a mean apparent attenuation of 84%. If possible, maybe add some steeped crystal malt.

Personally, (and assuming that you are using H&B unhopped Malt Extract) I'd boil up the hops for 30 minutes in a couple of litres of water rather than make a Hop Tea. The reason being that I have often lost the bitter taste and aroma of hops during fermentation from a Hop Tea - but never from fully boiled hops.

Towards the end of fermentation, the Dry Hopping you suggest sounds fine.

BTW, back in the day before pre-hopped LME I used to boil up the LME along with the hops for an hour on the kitchen stove. This mixture was then strained into the FV and cooled with tap water before introducing the yeast.

It stank the house out, quite often the kitchen walls were running with condensation, but it did produce a brew that was much better than the four or five beer kits that were available at the time!

Also in current circumstances, I've found the Allinson bread yeast actually works fairly well in beer, although I've heard bread and bread yeast are being hammered by the preppers.

I'm also intrigued by the malt drinks in the Caribbean section of supermarkets, presumably that could be fermented?

Also in current circumstances, I've found the Allinson bread yeast actually works fairly well in beer, although I've heard bread and bread yeast are being hammered by the preppers.

I'm also intrigued by the malt drinks in the Caribbean section of supermarkets, presumably that could be fermented?

Thing is, once you have yeast (or two) with a good temp range you dont need to buy any more as you can constantly propogate it.

Love the way you call the panic buying beserkers 'preppers' btw lol

Personally, (and assuming that you are using H&B unhopped Malt Extract) I'd boil up the hops for 30 minutes in a couple of litres of water rather than make a Hop Tea. The reason being that I have often lost the bitter taste and aroma of hops during fermentation from a Hop Tea - but never from fully boiled hops.

Towards the end of fermentation, the Dry Hopping you suggest sounds fine.

BTW, back in the day before pre-hopped LME I used to boil up the LME along with the hops for an hour on the kitchen stove. This mixture was then strained into the FV and cooled with tap water before introducing the yeast.

It stank the house out, quite often the kitchen walls were running with condensation, but it did produce a brew that was much better than the four or five beer kits that were available at the time!
Think i might try boiling the lme with hops sounds like a good idea

You can make a hop tea at the end of fermentation when you dry hop.

Didnt like the look of the h b malt very black looking so i ordered 3 kg light malt and 2 kg brewing sugar i have yeast and 200g hops can i make it like a kit or would u recomend to boil the worth with hops first for flavour either that or a very generous dry hop

@labrewski
You have the basic idea for an extract brew.
More on that here
A Simple Guide to Extract Brewing
Your problem is going to be getting the hop boil right or you will end up with too much or too little bitterness. If you tell us what hops you have got, and the size of your biggest stock pot, someone will be able to concoct a recipe for you.
But a slight word of warning. I have used both types of H&B LME in the past and if you make up an extract beer using all their LME my perception was it can turn out a bit 'twangy'. However that may not concern you

No i bought some light malt extract from the home brew store i have 2 1.5 kg packs malt 2kg dextrose and 100g comet and 100g Columbus hops u.s west coast yeast and 1 safale u.s yeast

Latest posts

Back