Worth getting temperature controller for possibly faulty fridge?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eggzy

Reaction score
So i know this question isn't technically brew related at all however based on my limited research, when it comes to temperature controllers and keeping the right temperature inside a fridge, you guys are the experts so who better to ask.

I purchased a used fridge a couple of weeks or so ago on Gumtree but i can't seem to get the temperature low enough (2-4c) to use as a normal fridge, the thermostat is very basic with 6 numbers, it doesn't actually monitor the temperature of the fridge but rather has a set amount of time in comes on for a few minutes every 20-30 minutes. If i change it to 6 the fridge does get very cold but the compressor stays on at all times.

Does this sound like a faulty thermostat and would plugging the fridge in to an inkbird fix this or is there something else going on? I also bought the fridge to store hatching chicken eggs in for a few weeks once a year and it is perfectly suitable for that due to the high temps on the low dials but want to use it as a regular fridge the rest of the year.

Sounds like it's running well enough on 6 to let a temperature controller do the work. Just set it on max. Inbirds and STCs have a settable compressor delay so you're fine.

So i know this question isn't technically brew related at all however based on my limited research, when it comes to temperature controllers and keeping the right temperature inside a fridge, you guys are the experts so who better to ask.

I purchased a used fridge a couple of weeks or so ago on Gumtree but i can't seem to get the temperature low enough (2-4c) to use as a normal fridge, the thermostat is very basic with 6 numbers, it doesn't actually monitor the temperature of the fridge but rather has a set amount of time in comes on for a few minutes every 20-30 minutes. If i change it to 6 the fridge does get very cold but the compressor stays on at all times.
Leave it on 6, have a simple Inkbird inbetween and it should function in the way you want it.

Thank you for the replies. I've just read in the fridge manual that it shouldn't constantly be turned on and off (which is essentially what the inkbird will do), is that just an extra cautious warning, also will the inkbird turn off the fridge light as well? This isn't a huge deal breaker but ideally I would like it to operate as it does now with the fridge light on every time I open the door.

Also how necessary is it to drill a hole in the fridge to put the probe in, I've seen others on this forum state that they just put it through the door but if it's that simple i would have thought everyone would do that, unless it's just a case of keeping things neat.

Also how necessary is it to drill a hole in the fridge to put the probe in, I've seen others on this forum state that they just put it through the door but if it's that simple i would have thought everyone would do that, unless it's just a case of keeping things neat.
There's a leakhole in the back, low-middle. Maybe the probe fits through?

Hi Eggzy. The Inkbirds and STCs have a settable compressor delay so it won't turn it on and off quickly even if the temperature somehow changed rapidly. Say it's set for 10 minutes then when the unit is switched on, or ends a cooling cycle then that timer starts and it won't turn it on again until the time is up.

I do hang my probe through the door seal, and so do loads of people, but you can do a lot of things like pushing it through the back through that gunk hole draining thing or using the gap the original temperature probe is in if it has one.

To use it to run with the light on you'd have to wire it in as a replacement for the built in temperature control or add a new feed to the light separately. Dooable but not really worth the fuss if you're not inclined that way.

I used a cheap temp controller off eBay in a box from Maplin, I didn't want to drill a hole in the fridge because it was a nice little fridge really, and I used it as a fridge when not fermenting lager.

I just put the probe through the door and it worked fine, but if you're building a proper brew fridge from a next to junk fridge, it is nice to get it all contained within the fridge.

There is a leak hole but not sure if the probe will fit but won't know until i try it. Glad to hear that it can just fit through the door which is probably what I'll do for now if the former doesn't work out. I will also probably just take the light out then as I'd rather have no light than a light that's sometimes on and sometimes off.

I suppose the only thing that's left now is to buy the temp controller, I'm not in any rush as I will be using the fridge for the next few weeks for storing hatching eggs anyway and the temperature is fine for that. I figured I'd ask this question beforehand as I've read from past forum posts that inkbird do sales on their temp controllers so now i can keep an eye on it and snap it up in the next sale.

Keep an eye on the sponsor forum he often gives second hand stuff away as well as discounts.

Back