WOW from concentrate?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelper

Old Salt
Reaction score
I want to make a wine from Garffen's red grape juice concentrate. It's 65 Brix concentrated and 15.9 Brix dilute, a ratio of ~4:1.

Has anyone tried it?

1587821739610.png

Last edited:
I got some too. Do you trouble finding grape juice in the Highlands where you are? Can you get it in Inverness?

I got some too. Do you trouble finding grape juice in the Highlands where you are? Can you get it in Inverness?
Ha Ha! Inverness is three hours away! Tesco in Wick has Welch's purple grape juice but I normally order online.

The Isle of Skye. There are only coop's here and nearest decent supermarkets are 100 miles away. Tesco vans come over but it's near impossible to get a delivery slot. I drive petrol tankers so i'm usually through in Inverness quite often but here's hardly any petrol needed just now due to lockdown. Ach well, will have a go at using that concentrate athumb..

I have litre of Ritchies concentrate. But at £12 it's not going to make a cheap wine!

Cheaper than buying wine and a more enjoyable process! I hope it turns out well acheers.

Elderflower in full bloom here just now. Would love to try making something with it. Gorse is tempting too, smells amazing and is in abundance at the moment. Sainte.

I made a kit wine with dried elderflower - it was very good. I can't find fresh here so will use dried. My gorse wine is at 1.013 but now very slow.

Was there a lot of work in picking the gorse? I'd imagine it could be a painful process. It took me a while to start seeing the elderflower but once I spotted my first tree I started seeing it everywhere. I don't suppose it will be in bloom for long so must try and pick some.

My mum made elderflower champagne with only the wild yeasts on it. It got quite strong and burst the odd bottle. That was probably 50 years ago. I have a recipe but it does not have quantities.

I used to be a welder so i'm sure a pair of my old gloves will keep the pricks at bay :laugh8: will have to have crack at it thumb

The wine from concentrate was started yesterday. I litre of concentrate + water + sugar + yeast + pectolase, made up to 4.5 litres. It's still a dark red.
IMG_20200604_123336_6.jpg

Great colour! Hope it turns out well and hope to hear how it goes? 6 demi johns and 8 litres of red grape juice have arrived today. I'm going to try a few different wows. I have been stocking up on different fruit juices and some fruit tea bags.

I used a good bit of mine for back sweeting a kit that I bought. Worked well for that. Still have some left and some white I ordered too. Nothing ventured nothing gained I suppose. Sorry it never worked. Was it perhaps too concentrated? They advise 250ml for a gallon.

I thought the elderflowers here were elderflowers it turned out that the were rowan trees aheadbutt

Latest posts

Back