Wrexham Lager - Recipe Assistance if you can please?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrunkDelilahBrewery

Reaction score
Dear each,

Though I now reside on the sunny south coast, I am formerly of a North Wales base from a village just outside of Wrexham. Being one of the first (if not the first) Lager(s) brewed in the UK I thought I might give it a go. Would anyone happen to have a recipe for it? I have contacted the Brewery and discussed with him to see if I could perhaps have the recipe (after all lots of Breweries share such things these days as if nothing else it gets the name out there); however I could not convince him to share; I respect that of course but still would like to give it a go. For those whom have not drank this beer - it is light, fresh, clean and when chilled (especially) releases a hint of lemonade and lime. The beer is also a tad on the sweeter side. The original brewery closed but a local councillor held on to the rights of the recipe and as since brought it back. It takes (certainly on tap) - just like it did way back when I was too young to drink it but did. I have included a link if you want a buy (roughly £1.25 a bottle at the moment delivered !!!

https://www.wrexhamlager.co.uk/shop/
I appreciate such forums rarely support lagers but this one is rather a decent brew.

Anyway - apart from ascertaining that the process abides by all German Purity Laws - that's all I have... if anyone could assist then brilliant; I would very much appreciate that.

Stewart

Hiya Stewart
I live in Wrexham...sisters husbands family founded "the Lager" as it was called...Mrs dad worked there for decades...until Carlsberg shut it...
Anyway...I've tried to find a recipe but struggling a bit...
Original was black I believe...

Hiya Stewart
I live in Wrexham...sisters husbands family founded "the Lager" as it was called...Mrs dad worked there for decades...until Carlsberg shut it...

Didn't someone else ask for a recipe for this a few weeks ago. As I remember you mentioning you were related to the founders of wrexham brewery

Hiya Stewart
Yes, I asked the head brewer about bringing out the dark beer and he said they might do limited runs; they have just released their Boot Legger Pilsner that I have just ordered - right before the end I used to do a tour of the original brewery about once per month; it was obviously closing and we didn't even bother with the tour in the end...just sat in the little bar, watched the video and got royally merry whilst eating take out fish and chips. I can't remember the two ladies - but they were fantastic... I just need the percentages on Grain for the grist, what hops are used and the strain of yeast. I can manage the rest myself. I am not looking to copy commercially - just make it myself as a bit of a nostalgic taste of home !!!

Well DDB. If you do manage to acquire the said ingredients for this beer, would you be willing to share the recipe on here or will it remain a Welsh secret?

Well...we don't need to know much...
Malt bill,mash temp,hop schedule and yeast...
The web site says it's brewed with British malt and hops...I wonder which British hops they're using for lager...?
I know in the later years the original brewery had lots of sugar on site but they were brewing other stuff...

Colleague of mine is good mates with the brewer there now...
I emailed Ian Dale (head brewer) - I understand their desire for secrecy but no one will be able to replicate commercially or even desire to; its a shame as it could really spread the good word. I’d be most interested on what your friend would say. There are some old news articles to refer to.

Make sure you have your list of questions ready for the tour......;-)
[/QUOTE
I emailed Ian Dale (head brewer) - I understand their desire for secrecy but no one will be able to replicate commercially or even desire to; its a shame as it could really spread the good word. I’d be most interested on what your friend would say. There are some old news articles to refer to.
Make sure you have your list of questions ready for the tour......;-)
Would not need questions just view grain and hops - shouldn’t be too difficult to decipher.

It's more because they don't want you to know about the **** that goes into it

Well...we don't need to know much...
Malt bill,mash temp,hop schedule and yeast...
The web site says it's brewed with British malt and hops...I wonder which British hops they're using for lager...?
I know in the later years the original brewery had lots of sugar on site but they were brewing other stuff...
Personally, I think they are using one of the nobel German Hops...and it's certainly Pilsner malt. There is some sweetness in there though....and there is a slight corn type taste on the back end though the nead brewer said they respected German Purity Laws...that being said, corn isn't malted....so wouldn't be present...mmmm...

Latest posts

Back