Wrong hops delivered - whats the best plan

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuart_A

Reaction score
Hi all

It's been a long time since I last brewed but recently ordered the ingredients for a home brew.

Just spent the last couple of hours cleaning up the old gear and preparing. But I've now opened my box of ingredients to find the wrong hops have been delivered.

Making the munich dunkel recipe from Greg Hugh's. Was a success last time. But the magnum hops have arrived as more hallertuaer mittelfruh. I was supposed to add 23 magnum at start but now all I have is mittlefruh, leaf and pellets.

Any advice? Can I use the mittlefruh?

Any urgent help appreciated! Thanks

You can use the Mittlefruh for buttering but you’ll probably need to use significantly more than you would have for Magnum. Use Brewers Friend or similar to plug in the hops with the AA% you have and see how much more is needed

I was doing a recipe with Target for bittering at 11% but didn't have any so used Challenger at 8% so chucked lots more in until I got the ABV I was looking for.

Mittelfruh will do nicely if you have enough of them- the alpha acids tend to be quite low. What other hops have you got in the cupboard?

As others have said, just use the mittlefruh. Also contact whoever you got the hops from and tell them they sent you the wrong ones. If your lucky they'll send you out some magnum so you'll get the mittelfruh for free

Thanks everyone. Used the mittelfruh as I had enough to make up the equivalent aa%. First brew day in about 2 yrs and nothing really went to plan. But it's in the fermenter now so I'll wait and see. Cheers

Latest posts

Back