Wye Valley Hereford Pale Ale (HPA) Clone Recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the inspiration- first brew HPA very drinkable after only a week in the barrel .
Maris otter
Wheat malt
hops - target & styrian golding
Yeast - CML 4
very pale - photo not the best
CBED19C2-48D9-4F68-B54C-771936BCC825.jpeg

I would like to do an AG HPA for my next brew and am grateful to all of you who have posted your recipes. Dark Rock my LHBS do not appear to stock an extra pale Maris Otter but do a low colour pale malt so I am thinking of using 2kg of that and 2kg of MO as it should turn out more straw coloured. I note though that Dark Rock seem to give a veiled warning about wheat malt constituting more than 5% of the grain bill and suggest that more than that could cause cloudiness which I prefer to avoid. Some of you use getting on for double that percentage so I wonder if you would let me whether that caused any cloudiness please.

Mine's never been cloudy from adding wheat. Some of my wheat beers aren't even that cloudy - until I swill the yeast in - and they have 50%.

It also depends on the yeast you use and whether you use irish moss or similar.

Mine's never been cloudy from adding wheat. Some of my wheat beers aren't even that cloudy - until I swill the yeast in - and they have 50%.

It also depends on the yeast you use and whether you use irish moss or similar.
Thanks for that and I was intending to use MJ Liberty Bell or Nottingham as per the recipes on here though I have no idea which is preferable. I will also be adding a Britewort tablet so thanks for the reassurance. My LHBS does not appear to stock Styrian Goldings though I see Crossmyloof has three varieties and wonder whether the type matters or whether there is a good substitute.

Just read the whole thread, going to give this a go. I have a golden bitter fermenting, I used all Styrian Golding in mine. So I have copied the recipe and will brew this down the track using 10% wheat with Target and Styrian Goldings.

So I have copied the recipe and will brew this down the track using 10% wheat with Target and Styrian Goldings.

Target is really important in this brew and imparts that harsh bitterness. In fact, I think of all the hops I brew with, Target is the one you have to really consider carefully when to use: it's essential for some brews, and can ruin others. Like many others, I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with Target and go through spells of not buying it, I've put it into use-up brews and not been happy with the result. But in HPA and my Guiness clone, it's absolutely the right bittering hop.

Target is really important in this brew and imparts that harsh bitterness. In fact, I think of all the hops I brew with, Target is the one you have to really consider carefully when to use: it's essential for some brews, and can ruin others. Like many others, I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with Target and go through spells of not buying it, I've put it into use-up brews and not been happy with the result. But in HPA and my Guiness clone, it's absolutely the right bittering hop.
I use Target as my backbone hop in ESB's and IPA's, love it, Super Pride is another one, but you may not be able to get that in the UK.

Bumping this thread again, really been getting into HPA again lately in the local pubs so have given it another go. Comparing to the real thing, on reflection I think I had the bitterness a bit too high so I've dropped it to 30 IBU this time, will see how it turns out.

Back