Wye Valley Hereford Pale Ale (HPA) Clone Recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Thanks to all the help from you lovely people, every bottle in my house is full of beer. That's 80 pints conditioning and about another 90 ready to drink.

I am getting dim looks from SWMBO. To solve this problem, I am inviting the boys round for a <cough> quiet evening to make a dent in the stocks. You'd think she'd be pleased......

Anyway, the lads have requested my next brew to be an HPA clone - it's one of our favourite beers on nights out.

So, I have no idea where to start! But I bet this forum can come up with recipe suggestions.

Thanks

Martin

One of my favourites too.:-D

I did a Wye Valley brewery tour recently, planned to make a note of what hops they'd used but of course forgot when I got home :sad: Celeia was definately one of them, and I think Target one of the others. I reckon it's these and pale malt, as it's a pale brew.

Oh, and they have their own in-house strain of yeast....so I bought a bottle of their Imperial Stout and cultivated it :whistle: Just used it in a Coopers Strout, so we'll see how that turns out, but re-cultivated it and have it saved in the fridge. Tempted to try to make a HPA clone now.

Any other suggestions for recipes? Guess it's not that well know a beer outside these parts, quite a small local brewery.

Thanks,

I've never tried to cultivate a yeast! Would be a step up for me.

Google yielded this from Jims:

25 litre batch OG 1040 ABV 4%

GOLDEN PROMISE PALE MALT 3804 gms
WHEAT MALT 424 gms

HOPS Boil time 90 minutes

TARGET 31 gms

Add 10 gms Goldings last 15 minutes

Any comments?

Cheers

Martin

I've just left a pub in Wales that had HPA on. But didn't have one. Drat. And double Drat.

Pubs in wales are a funny mix, I was up on Llyn and had some Purple Moose (which I found a bit 'crafty' ie flat and warm), but also some excellent TT Landlord!

Cheers

Martin

That recipe does sound close Martin, the Celeia hops I spotted in the brewery are a variant of Goldings, and I also saw some Target. The wheat malt makes sense too. Might give this a go, but probably not until next month.

Cultivating yeast was really easy, lots of advice online. Basically make up a small batch of wort (I made about 0.75L by just mashing some pale malt for an hour in a saucepan) then tip the dregs of a bottle-conditioned brew into it and leave it in the warm. It will ferment (and produce CO2, so don't seal it) and when done, cool it and the yeast will drop out. Get rid of all the "beer" on top then use the yeast in your next brew. Ideally, you should use the dregs of 3 or so bottles, but I managed to cultivate it from 1 bottle and it fermented a full 20L batch of stout. :-D

That recipe does sound close Martin, the Celeia hops I spotted in the brewery are a variant of Goldings, and I also saw some Target. The wheat malt makes sense too. Might give this a go, but probably not until next month.

Cultivating yeast was really easy, lots of advice online. Basically make up a small batch of wort (I made about 0.75L by just mashing some pale malt for an hour in a saucepan) then tip the dregs of a bottle-conditioned brew into it and leave it in the warm. It will ferment (and produce CO2, so don't seal it) and when done, cool it and the yeast will drop out. Get rid of all the "beer" on top then use the yeast in your next brew. Ideally, you should use the dregs of 3 or so bottles, but I managed to cultivate it from 1 bottle and it fermented a full 20L batch of stout. :-D

Thanks for this. Our local ASDA sell HPA, so I could cultivate a yeast strain from a couple of bottles of that. I may change the Goldings in the recipe for Celeia. Could be fun doing this one!

Cheers

Martin

I was at Worcester Show today, and had a chat with the lovely chap who makes / runs Barbourne Cider. He was doing the bar + had 4 of his ciders plus 3 ales (including HPA).

We discussed the hops in HPA - Target and Celeia - and were about to discuss yeast and water but the queue of customers wanting beer got in the way!

I love making beer, but I also love drinking brews made within a stones throw of where I live. It's great when we can keep it local (Edward and Tubbs anyone?).

Cheers

Martin

Did you make this?

I've put the recipe into beersmith and it brings the IBU out at 43 which I think is a bit high for HPA. I'd knock the target down so it comes out more like 35.

But it's personal taste.

Not yet! Trying to drink a bit less beer + lose some weight.....

Just made a stout, but really do want to do this one. I just love HPA.

Must make it my next one...unsure about cultivating the yeast - anyone suggest an alternative yeast off the shelf.

Thanks

MArtin

unsure about cultivating the yeast - anyone suggest an alternative yeast off the shelf

I'm in the middle of cultivating yeast from a bottle of Butty Bach following MyQul's guide.

It's surprisingly straightforward. I started it 8 days ago and should have sufficient for a brew day next weekend

I've done 5 step ups on the bottle yeast and have a decent quantity to pitch - it's brew day tomorrow.

Currently this is the bill.

I've substituted Target with Magnum and used the S-04 yeast profile. I'll be interested to see how flocculent it is in the main brew, it remains in suspension during the step ups and only really flocculates well when cooled, but I'm growing yeast and not fermenting beer...

View attachment uploadfromtaptalk1448383212344.jpg

A quick look at the yeast tonight shows it's quite flocculent and clumps a bit like Fullers yeast / wyeast 1968, which looks promising as this means it's lower attenuating giving a sweeter finish. I may have to alter the recipe slightly in the morning to give the correct ABV.

Well I had a sample on the 21st, thought it tasted great, started drinking it on Xmas eve with the folks, and finished it off last night! 38 pints in three days! There were 4 of us before anyone thinks I'm well oiled.

It tasted fantastic, and from mash to conditioned took 4 weeks, I've never had a beer condition so quickly

And I finally got round to brewing a 12L batch as per the original recipe. Like jeg3, it really didn't last very long - all the pubs around here sell HPA so I'm used to tasting it, and I'd say it was pretty close. Going to brew it again but with the Wye Valley yeast next time.

Grain Bill
----------------
2.040 kg Maris Otter Malt (90.27%)
0.220 kg Wheat Malt (9.73%)

Hop Bill
----------------
16.0 g Target Leaf (9% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes
5.0 g East Kent Golding Pellet (4.7% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes

Back