WYeast 1007 for an IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m_kc

Reaction score
I saved the yeastcake from a Kölsch. Just wondering has anyone used WYeast 1007 for an IPA? I would normally use US-05 which is pretty characteeless. So guessing some slight fruityness from 1007 would be okay?

1007 will work great in an IPA. Personally I don’t really get any fruitiness out of it. But I recall an article from six or seven years ago where IPAs were made with various yeast, and the Kolsch yeast rated the highest. I think it was 2565, which is very similar to 1007.

1007 will work great in an IPA. Personally I don’t really get any fruitiness out of it. But I recall an article from six or seven years ago where IPAs were made with various yeast, and the Kolsch yeast rated the highest. I think it was 2565, which is very similar to 1007.
Perfect going to go with 1007!

Never used it myself but, if you read Josh Weikert's "Make your best..." articles on beerandbrewing.com you'll see that when he wants a clean and yeast, whereas most of us might go for WY1056/US-05/BRY-97 etc. he actually favours WY1007. So yeah, I'd say go for it 👍🍻

Thought verdant was the go to yeast now for bringing out any fruitiness from hops, used it myself in a hazy for the first time and was well impressed, really good for a dry yeast

Back