Wyeast 1968 ESB Diacetyl Rest

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm doing a strong bitter with Wyeast 1968 ESB yeast and the instructions said to ensure a diacetyl rest. The yeast was pitched at 21 C and has remained at that temperature since. The ambient temperature is around 18-20 C. It's going to be in the fermenter in that position for 14 days. Is that enough to count as 'thorough' or do I need to heat it further?

I'm doing a strong bitter with Wyeast 1968 ESB yeast and the instructions said to ensure a diacetyl rest. The yeast was pitched at 21 C and has remained at that temperature since. The ambient temperature is around 18-20 C. It's going to be in the fermenter in that position for 14 days. Is that enough to count as 'thorough' or do I need to heat it further?
I used this yeast in an ESB recently. I fermented at 19 degrees C then raised it by a couple of degrees. Don't think I went over 21, and I'm not picking up any diacetyl in it. I like the yeast, works well with malt as it leaves a sweet finish, and it drops clear very nicely, but it's not the most characterful yeast. Mind you, the grain bill was about 60% Chevalier and 1968 showcases it well.

Last edited:
Back