WYEAST 2007 lager yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Marien

Reaction score
Hey,

Im brewing my first lager this weekend. Havent attempted it before as it looks like a harder beerstyles in general. I bought wyeast 2007 lager and was wondering what everyones experience is with this strain. On the pack it says ferment between 9-13°C. I was thinking to start at that temp and after 4 days raising the temp a bit to speed up the proces, before lowering it again. Now is this something that I can pull off, or is this strain really sensitieve to this. Would be interested to hear what you think, and what experiences you had with this yeast. I have 1 pack for 19l btw.

Its a great yeast, very balanced and flocculates fast and produces a crisp bright lager. I would not drop the temperature until its fermented. Start low and raise it after a week slowly to 18c. I leave mine for 21 days then cold crash. Make a starter for your yeast, 2 or 3l. It might take 48 hours to start bubbling at low temps but that's ok.

Looks like you had some great results with it. I didnt have any DME, so couldn't make a starter, but used two packs of the wyeast 2007. After I Brewed, I put my fermentation bucket in the fermentation fridge and put the smackpacks in there as well to make the temperature aligned (13°C), and to make the smackpacks swell a bit more. (probably gave it about 4 hours in there before pitching). Will let you know how it turns out.

Its been in the fermenter for about 65 hours now, and there has been no activity. Just took a gravity reading, and looks like there was no activity. Want from 1.059 to 1.058. Should I be worried? Both the smack packs were pretty slow activating, and werent even activated fully after 6-8 hours when I dumped them in. Use by dates were 1th of June and 6th of May 2021. This is why I prefer dry yeast, just seems so much more potent, and cheap...

My usual calculator tells me that you need 413bn cells for an ideal pitch. Taking your best case pack (1 June expiry) that would have been manufactured on 1 Dec 2020 it says that two packs would be about 120bn cells. You've underpitched significantly and as a result you're going to see a longer lag phase. Lagers with liquid yeasts really do need starters.

Very happy to finally see some action in the airlock today.

Thanks, will definitely remember to do a starter next time. So is the manufactore date 6 months from the expiry Date? Because the smack pack already seemed very slow at expanding.

Anyway, glad its finally fermenting, and to have learned a bit more on this crazy journey.

Back