WYeast Saved in a Jar

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m_kc

Reaction score
I saved 75ml (3/5) of a packet of WYeast 1469 after brewing a bitter 2 weeks ago, it's been kept in a jar in the fridge.Only did a 2 gallon batch so used 50ml (2/5). Hit an FG of 1.011.

Now I'm doing a 1 gallon batch of brown ale with an OG of 1.045. In the morning should I use 25ml (1/5) or throw in what's left to account for some cell death?

Morning. I see you haven't had any replies, which may be because there are a lot of unknowns, not least how the yeast was stored. My understanding is that it's best to keep yeast under beer / wort. I'd have been inclined to make a small starter to check viability, but that's not an option really if you are brewing this morning. If you are pretty sure that your 1469 in the jar is ok I'd be chucking it all in.

Have you packaged the bitter yet? Do you have an option of pitching some of the slurry / yeast cake as a back up?

I'll l throw it all in. First liquid yeast I've used, I itend to use more so will start to think about starters.
Trouble is I can only do up to 2gallon batches so will always have a bit left.

I threw all the slurry away as I had some yeast left - I am a fan of re-pitching though, seems to work well and without much risk.

Thanks, let's see how it goes!

Pitch it all. Accurately separating yeast from the packet is going to be very difficult because it tends to flocculate into big chunks and you don't want to touch it with anything or have it exposed to air for any longer than is absolutely necessary.

In future for your small batches it'll be better to make a small starter, like 1 litre or so and then split the starter 50/50 while all the yeast is still in suspension. You can then pitch half and save half to use as your next "pack" to create another litre starter for your next brew. Using this method you can go on for ages without ever buying a new pack if you're happy with the strain.

FWIW, I'd also say chuck it in. Don't be too surprised if fermentation is a little slow getting started, mainly just because your starting conditions are not quite optimal.

I do smaller batches, 10-12L, but unlike @foxbat I'm to lazy to make starters. His approach is without question more right or better.

Nevertheless I've successfully decanted fractions of a pack of Wyeast into 50ml centrifuge tubes for storage and reuse later. Just make sure your container is sterile/sanitised and store the yeast under beer. When you're ready to reuse you're best to make a starter on a stir plate or shaken not stirred to wake it up. You can just pitch it but you're taking a much bigger gamble this way, especially if it's been stored for a while.

I saved 75ml (3/5) of a packet of WYeast 1469 after brewing a bitter 2 weeks ago, it's been kept in a jar in the fridge.Only did a 2 gallon batch so used 50ml (2/5). Hit an FG of 1.011.

Now I'm doing a 1 gallon batch of brown ale with an OG of 1.045. In the morning should I use 25ml (1/5) or throw in what's left to account for some cell death?
For future reference, it's best to use the whole sachet in a single pitch and then recover yeast from the brew for future batches. 1469 produces a lovely head for top-cropping. It;s not too late to top crop the brown ale, when it gets going, or save the yeast cake from your earlier batch.
Good luck.

If I collect slurry I do up to a month if you are wanting to keep it longer try the other more scientific methods which if you search the forum or Youtube plenty of answers on how to, it is possible to dry some yeasts also which can be kept for a long long time too athumb..

For future reference, it's best to use the whole sachet in a single pitch and then recover yeast from the brew for future batches. 1469 produces a lovely head for top-cropping. It;s not too late to top crop the brown ale, when it gets going, or save the yeast cake from your earlier batch.
Good luck.
Cheers, If it turns out okay I'll save the slurry. I'm guessing it doesn't need to be washed if the style is similar?
Funnily enough this is the first time I've ever seen fermentation with a short-lived krausen. It only lasted a few hours, but it's still going pretty vigorously.

When you recover the yeast from a brew how long will it keep in the fridge?
Well if my memory serves me correctly, forum member myqul (currently on sabbatical from the forum AIUI) grew some yeast up from the sediment in 40 year old bottles of beer.

So potentially quite a while, but store it under beer not water as that's where yeast likes to live.

Thanks for that; I’m only just starting with liquid yeasts so want to start recovering and reusing. I’ll take a look on YouTube any recommendations for posts here doe just regular collecting of yeast; I’ve recently started using the Fermentasauas so now have access to conical egress of slurry

Latest posts

Back