Xmas user upper brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm doing a Xmas user upper brew today. Unfortunately the ale yeast I ordered from CML is still stuck in the post somewhere
so I had a change of plan. Originally it was going to be an english bitter but since I have some MJ54 I thought I'd do
a Cali common steam beer.
This is my grain bill for 15L batch

1.4 kg extra pale MO
1.4 kg MO
.5kg munich
250 gm Cara
250 gm extra dark crystal

I have a limited hop choice but was thinking
Admiral 12gm 60 mins ( 30.6 IBU )
Cascade 15gm 15 mins ( 10.7 IBU )
Cascade 10gm 80c hopstand 60 mins (2.6 IBU )

Cascade 35gm dry hop

IBU 44
EBC 26
abv 5.3%

I thought Admiral might be a good sub for Northern Brewer with similar woody, herbal flavour.
Also have some EKG and some malted oats to use up but didn't think they had a place in this recipe.
Would welcome any comments or suggestions. I could wait and see if ale yeast turns up tomorrow but felt like
some quiet brewing time in the shed today !

Looks fine to me (too many IBU for my taste but YMMV). I've been using a packet of Admiral for bittering for ages...

Looks fine to me (too many IBU for my taste but YMMV). I've been using a packet of Admiral for bittering for ages...

I'm drinking an Admiral IPA at the moment.
I was inspired after trying Flagship from Hook Norton brewery.
Doesn't seem to be a very widely used hop.
I used it for bittering combined with Challenger and Target for later additions and dry hopping.
I could pick up the orangey flavour it is often described as having, one of my daughter's also got it without being told.

With the Cali Common recipe, It is quite high IBU but that's how I like it 😄
It is ( just ! ) within parameters for the style on Brewfather which I generally stick to.

Last edited:
I’ve formulated an English IPA with Admiral and Nelson Sauvin called Trafalgar IPA but haven’t made it yet. Maybe next year.
I made something similar earlier in the year, my 3/4 Nelson so my ratios were a little different to yours.
It was very nice & I brewed a 2nd batch although there is now only 1 bottle left, I will need to add the hops back on my list for next year.

Latest posts

Back