Yaldi IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Didn't see Aldi's Punk rip off when I was in there tonight. Has anyone tried it yet?

No, but I did see this write-up earlier...

"Anti Establishment IPA - Aldi.
Found this quite funny.
Aldi making their own Punk IPA.
Fancied giving it a go to compare.
Bad call.

Now please understand, I really like Punk, always have and most likely always will, no matter how many times they change the recipe. It’s no longer an exciting beer to me by any means, but it’s solid and it’s dependable.

AE IPA is, and I can not stress this enough, utter dogshit.
Started quite well when I poured it, nice colour and carbonation. As I’m sure you’d agree from the photo, it looks pretty good!
The aroma though... **** me! If you’ve ever had a bowl of sugar puffs, you’ll be aware of the smell of sweet urine they have - like the Honey Monster’s definitely diabetic ****. Now imagine you’d poured a can of Stella into that bowl instead of milk... that’s what this smells like.
The flavour isn’t much better. It genuinely tastes like stale lager with stale hops added. I keep having to take sips to try and describe it. And that’s the best I can come up with because all I can really think about is how disappointed I am in myself for keeping on going back for more.
I’d normally be one to force my way through a beer even if it’s bad, but I don’t think I’ll manage this one.

Surprised? Not really.

But it’s really, REALLY bad. 👎🏻"

Found this quite funny.
Bad call.

Now please understand, I really like Punk, always have and most likely always will, no matter how many times they change the recipe. It’s no longer an exciting beer to me by any means, but it’s solid and it’s dependable.

Started quite well when I poured it, nice colour and carbonation. As I’m sure you’d agree from the photo, it looks pretty good!
The aroma though... **** me! If you’ve ever had a bowl of sugar puffs, you’ll be aware of the smell of sweet urine they have - like the Honey Monster’s definitely diabetic ****. Now imagine you’d poured a can of Stella into that bowl instead of milk... that’s what this smells like.
The flavour isn’t much better. It genuinely tastes like stale lager with stale hops added. I keep having to take sips to try and describe it. And that’s the best I can come up with because all I can really think about is how disappointed I am in myself for keeping on going back for more.
I’d normally be one to force my way through a beer even if it’s bad, but I don’t think I’ll manage this one.

Surprised? Not really.

If anti-establishment means drinking honey monster p155 then i'm returning retiring and becoming a pro-establishment old fart.

Found this quite funny.
Bad call.

Surprised? Not really.

Leave me out of this................ :laugh8: :laugh8::laugh8::laugh8::laugh8::laugh8:

I did try a can and wasn't impressed at all! I did have a pint of Punk earlier in the day so I though I might have just been hoping for too much but I don't think I'll be rushing back to buy it again.

Found this quite funny.
Bad call.

Surprised? Not really.

Wow, I can’t believe it can be that bad! Some of Aldi’s other ‘craft’-style offerings are pretty ok (feint praise as that is). I am actually intrigued to see how bad it can really be - I’m off to Aldi tomorrow to see if they have any. 😁

Personally, being more of a session pale fan, I’m waiting for their ‘Ex-Equine Society’ to hit the shelves.

Wow, I can’t believe it can be that bad! Some of Aldi’s other ‘craft’-style offerings are pretty ok (feint praise as that is). I am actually intrigued to see how bad it can really be - I’m off to Aldi tomorrow to see if they have any. 😁

Personally, being more of a session pale fan, I’m waiting for their ‘Ex-Equine Society’ to hit the shelves.

I was saying the same to my mates. They'd do well to rip off a few more. I came up with:

Flogged Horse Society
Misplaced Lager
Early Morning Do-Gooder
Fuzzy James
Regular Satsuma

Thanks for the heads up @Chippy_Tea
It was utter *****. I’ve been drinking punk ipa for quite some time since brewdog first started in fact. I’m not a BD fanboi I should add and really didn’t rate their beers in the early days even as a shareholder from EFPII (I wanted discount at their bar as I had one local to me for their guest beer and though it would be a safe investment...I digress) but all their beer had a ‘brewdog’ flavour even up until quite recently which I could never put my finger on but could tolerate.
Anyway Punk has to be one of the freshest beers I can get my hands on in Edinburgh (at the BD bars at least) and I’d happily have a few as a solid reliable pint if nothing else grabs my attention.
The ‘Anti’ beer (Anti quality) lacked any real hop punch and I chucked it out. I’m happy to get fat for a good pint but I wasn’t entertaining that muck and won’t again. I made an apa which just finish two weeks ago and I yearned for a pint of that to cleanse myself!

In summary my tastebuds now know how Jodie Foster felt on that pinball machine but luckily I was sober enough to do something about it before things went bad!

Got one tonight. Don't think it's as bad as the couple of reviews it's been given here, but it's certainly not good. Aldi do a couple of far better pale ales for the same price, I'll stick with them.

Back