Yeah over 100% attenuation?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Raven Brewery

Reaction score
Hey!

Need a little advice please.

I am on day 8 of a pils fermentation and I'm currently getting readings around 1.000 (started at 1.037 and was hoping it would finish at 1.010 or there abouts). Brewfather is telling me it's 106% and I'm using wyeast 2278.

Could I have an infection of sorts that's caused the yeast to ferment so far down? I took a measurement and had a little sip today and not great with taste descriptors but I'd say there was a "chemical" like taste. It wasn't massively unpleasant but I also didn't enjoy it.

My fermenting bucket did have a strange smell before I cleaned it but perhaps I missed a spot.

Any thoughts?
Thank you.

Hey!

Need a little advice please.

I am on day 8 of a pils fermentation and I'm currently getting readings around 1.000 (started at 1.037 and was hoping it would finish at 1.010 or there abouts). Brewfather is telling me it's 106% and I'm using wyeast 2278.

Could I have an infection of sorts that's caused the yeast to ferment so far down? I took a measurement and had a little sip today and not great with taste descriptors but I'd say there was a "chemical" like taste. It wasn't massively unpleasant but I also didn't enjoy it.

My fermenting bucket did have a strange smell before I cleaned it but perhaps I missed a spot.

Any thoughts?
Thank you.
Sorry to tell you that it is a very good suspect for an infection.

Infection doesn't necessarily mean a spoiled batch. If you've used the kit previously for saison or other highly attenuated yeasts, it could be that that had got into your beer - meaning it's not what you intended, but still perfectly drinkable beer. Same with brett. Let's be hopeful 🤞, but a chemical taste and an odd smell don't bode well.

Infection doesn't necessarily mean a spoiled batch. If you've used the kit previously for saison or other highly attenuated yeasts, it could be that that had got into your beer - meaning it's not what you intended, but still perfectly drinkable beer. Same with brett. Let's be hopeful 🤞, but a chemical taste and an odd smell don't bode well.
You have me worried now. I used Belle Saison a couple of weeks back (rocket fuel) and currently doing an APA (BRY97) which has just passed its target FG and showing no signs of stopping.

I haven't brewed anything of the sort. I'm going to give it a few more days since I can't do anything else anyways and see what happens. I'll just get another bucket this weekend and try again 🤷‍♂️

So I dumped it. I popped it open and it had a very acidic smell to it and didn't smell great. It finished according to my iSpindel at 0.996.

It had some little white floating bits in it, the picture isn't great but I thought I'd add it anyway.

Better luck next time!

Attachments

• PXL_20220803_183941389.jpg
    PXL_20220803_183941389.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 0
That's a shame. Make sure you give an your kit a really good clean. Soaking everything in a bleach solution is a good place to start.

That, I'm afraid, I don't know. I've been fortunate enough not to have to do it. Plenty of more knowledgeable people in this forum than me though. A search may yield a result, or hopefully a bearer of wisdom will find along

Anecdotal but I got an infection this time last year, feel it was fruit flies but ended up running a couple of batches afterwards too. Bleached the barrel but didn't help, I just replaced the fermenter and problem went away, all the other equipment I used was fine.

Anecdotal but I got an infection this time last year, feel it was fruit flies but ended up running a couple of batches afterwards too. Bleached the barrel but didn't help, I just replaced the fermenter and problem went away, all the other equipment I used was fine.
Yeah I'm only using a plastic bucket so might as well just replace it.

Thanks all.

Back