Yeast Cultivation.

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

the baron

Staff member
Reaction score
Is it possible to do a small mash and save the wort to use as a starter culture. I would think you could freeze it so that you have enough for a few starters/culture it would be more cost effective

Brew_DD2

Mint Choc Chipster
Reaction score
You can get jars of liquid malt extract from Holland and Barrett.

Reaction score
Wilko do DME - or at least I hope that's what it is - as I just used it in my last brew for a starter!

Edit: I may have misunderstood and I see that you're not on the mainland so Wilko may not be available - apols.

Small wort brew as already suggested. Cheers

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yep, loads.
Could be the way forward.
Or just get a couple of litres of wort from my next AG brew?
Yes, either way is fine. Generally you want a fairly low-gravity wort (1.030 - 1.040 or thereabouts) - I would take this pre-boil and you can always water down to get to the desired gravity.

If you're stepping this up in a bottle, then you don't need much for your first step, but you could freeze the rest, then bring the required amount up to pasteurisation temp before each step up.

Hanglow

Landlord.
Reaction score
In your position I would make future brews a bit longer and freeze a few litres of wort, preferably from lighter brews. Just water them down to 1.040 or so.

Reaction score
@Little Rock Brewing it sounds like you're sorted now (or maybe not) but yes it is absolutely possible to make an all grain starter, I've done it a few times...

Including a couple of months ago when I discovered my bag of DME had absorbed moisture and turned into a brick! 😂

According to my notes I used 165g Lager Malt in 1L tap water which ultimately yielded 950ml starter wort @ 1.040.

I mashed for 45-50 mins around 66degC (15-30 mins is probably sufficient for enough conversion for a starter)...

Then I boiled for 5 mins to sterilise it before chilling to 20degC in a water bath in the sink.

The trick is how to keep such a small volume warm while you mash - I did mine in a saucepan and put it in the oven set to 70degC 👍

Dyke Busters

Reaction score
For starters

Then

Finally

Hope that helps

foxy

Landlord.
Reaction score
Dipping my toe into cultivating harvested yeast soon.
Is there an alternative to DME for the process?
I haven't got any and forgot to add to my last MM order. aheadbutt
Not available locally and mail order is cost prohibitive, unless part of a big order.

Cheers
At the end of each brew day, pour out the remnants of the kettle into a jug, put it in a fridge to let it settle. Pour into a saucepan bring the temperature up to 80 C and bottle. Keep in the fridge until needed.
004.JPG 006.JPG