Yeast Cultivation.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it possible to do a small mash and save the wort to use as a starter culture. I would think you could freeze it so that you have enough for a few starters/culture it would be more cost effective

Yep, loads.
Could be the way forward.
Or just get a couple of litres of wort from my next AG brew?

Yes, either way is fine. Generally you want a fairly low-gravity wort (1.030 - 1.040 or thereabouts) - I would take this pre-boil and you can always water down to get to the desired gravity.

If you're stepping this up in a bottle, then you don't need much for your first step, but you could freeze the rest, then bring the required amount up to pasteurisation temp before each step up.

@Little Rock Brewing it sounds like you're sorted now (or maybe not) but yes it is absolutely possible to make an all grain starter, I've done it a few times...

Including a couple of months ago when I discovered my bag of DME had absorbed moisture and turned into a brick! 😂

According to my notes I used 165g Lager Malt in 1L tap water which ultimately yielded 950ml starter wort @ 1.040.

I mashed for 45-50 mins around 66degC (15-30 mins is probably sufficient for enough conversion for a starter)...

Then I boiled for 5 mins to sterilise it before chilling to 20degC in a water bath in the sink.

The trick is how to keep such a small volume warm while you mash - I did mine in a saucepan and put it in the oven set to 70degC 👍

Dipping my toe into cultivating harvested yeast soon.
Is there an alternative to DME for the process?
I haven't got any and forgot to add to my last MM order. aheadbutt
Not available locally and mail order is cost prohibitive, unless part of a big order.

Cheers
At the end of each brew day, pour out the remnants of the kettle into a jug, put it in a fridge to let it settle. Pour into a saucepan bring the temperature up to 80 C and bottle. Keep in the fridge until needed.
004.JPG 006.JPG

Back