Yeast for a Proper Job.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

An Ankoù

Landlord.
Reaction score
Tommorows brewday will be an AG Proper Job from BrewUk. As usual I didn't order the yeast with the kit as I like to use Crossmyloof as they're such fun to deal with!
So i have a choice of Ale, Five, Clipper or Atlantic.
What do you reckon?
I reckon you should buy a bottle of Proper Job and culture the yeast from the bottle. Its quite different to anything I've used before in fact it's a monster. It is, however, quite clean so I think I'd go for Five.
Well worth cultivating from a bottle if you've got time though.

An Ankoù

Landlord.
Reaction score
I do actually have a bottle I bought just for the yeast, but haven't got round to it. To be honest I'm not quite sure how to! I've harvested lots of yeast from my brews, but never "grown" one.
You'd best stick with the CML then. I haven't used Clipper or Atlantic so I'll look again at the specs. Certainly not Clipper. The PJ yeast is so wild and fast that I thought it might possible be a kveik, but it probably isn't- Five will be fine, mash low and let it attenuate fully.
If you've got info on growing a yeast from a bottle then fine, otherwise I'd be happy to share how I do it.

Reaction score
If you want to brew tomorrow you've not got time to cultivate yeast from a bottle.

US-05 will work fine with it, you need a yeast that allows the hops to shine and this does. I made it with US-05 a few times and did an A/B comparison with the real thing and it was very close. MJ Liberty Bell is another yeast option.

Thatscold

Reaction score
I brewed this with Verdant IPA yeast. For me it was better than the original.

I appreciate you haven’t got this yeast to hand but worth considering for the future.

An Ankoù

Landlord.
Reaction score
I brewed this with Verdant IPA yeast. For me it was better than the original.

I appreciate you haven’t got this yeast to hand but worth considering for the future.
But he has got CML clipper, which, while I haven't used either, seems to have a similar ester profile.
But these are a far cry from the yeast found in a bottle of the Proper Job, which is dry and clean. Different beers, both could be good.

Sadfield

Landlord.
Reaction score
But he has got CML clipper, which, while I haven't used either, seems to have a similar ester profile.
But these are a far cry from the yeast found in a bottle of the Proper Job, which is dry and clean. Different beers, both could be good.
A dual pitch of clipper and five might work then? Clipper for the esters, Five for attenuation and Flocculation.