Yeast for a Proper Job.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tommorows brewday will be an AG Proper Job from BrewUk. As usual I didn't order the yeast with the kit as I like to use Crossmyloof as they're such fun to deal with!
So i have a choice of Ale, Five, Clipper or Atlantic.
What do you reckon?
I reckon you should buy a bottle of Proper Job and culture the yeast from the bottle. Its quite different to anything I've used before in fact it's a monster. It is, however, quite clean so I think I'd go for Five.
Well worth cultivating from a bottle if you've got time though.

I do actually have a bottle I bought just for the yeast, but haven't got round to it. To be honest I'm not quite sure how to! I've harvested lots of yeast from my brews, but never "grown" one.
You'd best stick with the CML then. I haven't used Clipper or Atlantic so I'll look again at the specs. Certainly not Clipper. The PJ yeast is so wild and fast that I thought it might possible be a kveik, but it probably isn't- Five will be fine, mash low and let it attenuate fully.
If you've got info on growing a yeast from a bottle then fine, otherwise I'd be happy to share how I do it.

If you are wanting as near as possible to Proper Job I would listen to and take up the advise from AA, if you are wanting a style of ale similar I would use Five

If you want to brew tomorrow you've not got time to cultivate yeast from a bottle.

US-05 will work fine with it, you need a yeast that allows the hops to shine and this does. I made it with US-05 a few times and did an A/B comparison with the real thing and it was very close. MJ Liberty Bell is another yeast option.

I brewed this with Verdant IPA yeast. For me it was better than the original.

I appreciate you haven’t got this yeast to hand but worth considering for the future.

I brewed this with Verdant IPA yeast. For me it was better than the original.

I appreciate you haven’t got this yeast to hand but worth considering for the future.
But he has got CML clipper, which, while I haven't used either, seems to have a similar ester profile.
But these are a far cry from the yeast found in a bottle of the Proper Job, which is dry and clean. Different beers, both could be good.

But he has got CML clipper, which, while I haven't used either, seems to have a similar ester profile.
But these are a far cry from the yeast found in a bottle of the Proper Job, which is dry and clean. Different beers, both could be good.
A dual pitch of clipper and five might work then? Clipper for the esters, Five for attenuation and Flocculation.

This is my yeast starter from one bottle of proper job
36B8160F-CFFB-4B8B-BC5B-11CF18342F8A.jpeg

Attachments

• 6AFB7CA3-70E5-4D6E-9A6A-2BE44982DC22.jpeg
    6AFB7CA3-70E5-4D6E-9A6A-2BE44982DC22.jpeg
    36.1 KB · Views: 0
Sorry, I know this thread is nearly a year old, but just wondered if anyone had successfully brewed a PJ clone with yeast propagated from a PJ bottle and if so how it turned out and any pointers as to fermentation temperature?

Basically, I am going to brew one in the next couple of weeks and was planning on cultivating the yeast from a bottle or two of the real stuff. However, I have just returned from a holiday in Cornwall, did the St Austell brewery tour a couple of days ago and was told by the guide that the yeast they use in the bottle conditioning is not the same strain as that used during the fermentation! I am now not sure whether to risk it or just use a yeast from a trusted source.

Thanks.

I've brewed quite a few Tribute clones...St. Austell brewery told me for fermentation Notty is a good yeast...my clone is very close. I just prime with sugar. I'd brew your clone with Notty and if you're able culture up the bottling yeast.

Sorry, I know this thread is nearly a year old, but just wondered if anyone had successfully brewed a PJ clone with yeast propagated from a PJ bottle and if so how it turned out and any pointers as to fermentation temperature?

Basically, I am going to brew one in the next couple of weeks and was planning on cultivating the yeast from a bottle or two of the real stuff. However, I have just returned from a holiday in Cornwall, did the St Austell brewery tour a couple of days ago and was told by the guide that the yeast they use in the bottle conditioning is not the same strain as that used during the fermentation! I am now not sure whether to risk it or just use a yeast from a trusted source.

Thanks.
I wonder if that has changed recently. I made a Proper Job clone a few years ago, using yeast cultured from a couple of bottles. I was very pleased with the result

I've brewed Proper Job clones a few times and done a direct comparison with the real thing from a St Austell pub and can't taste the difference. I used dried yeast that accentuate the hops, either US-05 or MJ Liberty Bell.

I have cultivated yeasts from bottles before (Wye Valley) and TBH it wasn't worth the hassle, in my opinion.

Back