Yeast for American Wheat Beer.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got the Route Citra Six American Wheat AG kit from BrewUK. I also ordered a Safale WB06 with it, as recommended. But the yeast was missed off the order.
I really want to make this at the weekend but only have a range of other dry yeasts, most of the MJ Belgians, US05, Voss etc.
Are any suitable or should I get some "wheat" yeast?

Easy - US-05, BRY-97 or something like K-97. Clean yeast is what distinguishes US wheats from their European cousins.

As an aside, WB-06 is a bit of an odd yeast. Despite Fermentis marketing it for wheat beers, it's unrelated to the standard hefe yeasts, it's more like a slightly weird member of the saison family, closely related to yeasts linked to Duvel like WLP570 and 1388, and WLP644 Sacch Trois.

And from personal experience, WB-06 trashes hop flavour, so it's not at all suited to something you're putting Citra etc into.

As a matter of fact I have one planned for next month with K-97.
Screenshot_20220505-093753.png

I made American Wheat with both US05 and K97.
K97 was the better of the two but US05 was very nice.
Neutral yeast is key.
Never use German Wheat beer yeast.
German Wheat and American Wheat are totally different beasts

I've used WLP320 American Wheat which was good - it doesn't have the banana or clove character but keeps things cloudy. There is also Wyeast 1010 but I only have experience with the 320. I used it in a Raspberry wheat but I added the raspberries 'NEIPA style' on day 2 of fermentation as an experiment and was happy with the results. It was quite cloudy but didn't have the traditional wheat flavour so it was perfect for my experiment!

I've used WLP320 American Wheat which was good - it doesn't have the banana or clove character but keeps things cloudy. There is also Wyeast 1010 but I only have experience with the 320. I used it in a Raspberry wheat but I added the raspberries 'NEIPA style' on day 2 of fermentation as an experiment and was happy with the results. It was quite cloudy but didn't have the traditional wheat flavour so it was perfect for my experiment!
1010 is my choice in liquid yeast.

Back