Yeast for Chouffe clone.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're brewing today I'd go with the M31 Tripel out of those and keep the temps low(ish) for the first couple of days then ramp or allow to free rise after that.

If you can wait, the Ardennes strain is the Chouffe yeast. If using dried the MJ French saison yeast would do a good job at getting you close to le Chouffe (again keep the temps lowish).

To be honest I haven't decided on the quantities yet but it'll be pilsner malt, styrian goldings, saaz, a can of Coopers Draught or LME. Oh and corriander seed.
Any advice greatly appreciated as I'm trying to run before I can walk!

I think it's quite a simple recipe. If I recall correctly la chouffe is just pilsner malt and sugar. I'd go 10—15% sugar. 10 grams of crushed corriander seed at the end of the boil. I'd bitter with some of the goldings and then a mix of goldings and saaz say 15 mins from the end of the boil. Probably shoot for an OG of 1070 and IBU of around 25.

Let us know how you go with it. Love a la chouffe. Might need to brew this one up myself soon!

Here's a thread on another forum that does a lot of the groundwork:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/la-chouffe.207213/If I were making this, I'd get some Château Pilsner malt 2 RW (Yes they do a 6 row as well) from either thehomebrecompany or one of the UK stockists. I'd use ordinary white sugar instead of his dodgy syrup, but you'd need to reduce the quantity accordingly. And he doesn't seem to give details of his batch volume, but you can work that out.
Good luck

Thanks for the link, I think I'm a bit out of my depth with this but what the hell!
I can't buy any decent beer locally and the Customs have cottoned onto mail order now and sieze shipments until duty is paid.
I didn't know the Channel Islands were so complicated. Presumably that's UK duty on French and Belgian beer. You could always slip over to Normandy in the dead of night in a coracle and load up. ( :laugh8: )
If it's Belgian beers you like I'd have a good look at the recipes provided here:
http://www.castlemalting.com/Castle...ProductID=196&ProductGroup=M&Language=EnglishRecipes are for 100 litres so just divide by 5. While I've been aware of this collection for some time, I've only just started to take an interest in it. I think there are some very promising recipes, although I'll avoid the American hops.
Note that bottle conditioning is done with Fermentis F2 and not the original yeast. This is probably a very good idea for these beers.

If you're not sure about anything on this or feel out of your depth, always happy to help, as are others.

In fact I'm keen to start with one of the blonde or golden beers. If you want to work through one together, I'm up for it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back