Yeast for cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JhnMcK

Reaction score
I'm thinking of doing a cider (3.5L apple juice and .5L of another fruit juice) and leaving it for summer as I have loads of spare beer and cider bottles. I was planning on using a sachet of champagne yeast but I'd only be doing a gallon. Would I just use the whole sachet for a gallon?

Half a sachet is enough. Maybe a third of a sachet.
But once opened...

Which is why I always do 2 gallons

Alternatively, if you want to experiment and explore options a bit you can buy a bottle of Weston's Old Rosie cider, let it sit for a couple of days to allow the yeast to settle at the bottom (its a bottle conditioned cider) then drink the cider but leave about 1/4 - 1/2 inch of liquid in the bottle. This can be nurtured and developed into an excellent yeast using apple juice and a little sugar.

There is an excellent thread on here which lays out the whole process i think by calumscott. I've been using my recovered WOR yeast now for a few generations and its still working very well. I've even re-generated yeast from a bottle of my own cider.

Back