Yeast for Mexican-style Cerveza

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all
my FiL has asked me to brew something a bit like the San Miguel he has in Spain (yes… classy…) so I’m thinking I might do a Mexican style Cerveza.
The recipe in the GH bible recommends WLP940 but I’m wondering whether it’s really worth shelling out the best part of a tenner on a yeast for what I think of as essentially a pretty clean, neutral lager. Maybe I’m wrong there though.
I‘ll happily go with the liquid yeast if people think it’s worthwhile; but I thought this might equally be a good opportunity to try one of the CML dried yeasts I’ve heard good things about: maybe the ‘Five’.
Any views?

Last edited:
I’m in the process of drinking a Mexican Lager made with WLP940 and it is far superior to any of the Mexican Lagers I’ve made before (this is my 3rd attempt) using Lallemand Diamond (which is my go to dry lager yeast)

If making a “proper” lager you need 2 sachets of dry yeast anyway so going with the liquid isn’t actually that much of a premium.

In terms of the CML yeasts if you are looking to go in that direction, I’ve heard good things about the Hell although my Helles I made with it is still lagering so I haven’t tried it myself yet. It also has a high temperature threshold so you can probably ferment closer to ale temps and be done quicker.

I’m in the process of drinking a Mexican Lager made with WLP940 and it is far superior to any of the Mexican Lagers I’ve made before (this is my 3rd attempt) using Lallemand Diamond (which is my go to dry lager yeast)

If making a “proper” lager you need 2 sachets of dry yeast anyway so going with the liquid isn’t actually that much of a premium.

In terms of the CML yeasts if you are looking to go in that direction, I’ve heard good things about the Hell although my Helles I made with it is still lagering so I haven’t tried it myself yet. It also has a high temperature threshold so you can probably ferment closer to ale temps and be done quicker.
Excellent, that's exactly the kind of info I was looking for athumb..

I guess it depends on whether your relationship with your FIL us based on love, respect, fear, disdain or indifference. 🤠

But I wouldn't be using Four or anything like that. Got to be a lager yeast I think and I'm with MickDundee, spoil your FIL and reap the rewards later. 🍺👍

You can save yeast and get a lot of value from one pack anyway.

I guess it depends on whether your relationship with your FIL us based on love, respect, fear, disdain or indifference. 🤠

But I wouldn't be using Four or anything like that. Got to be a lager yeast I think and I'm with MickDundee, spoil your FIL and reap the rewards later. 🍺👍

You can save yeast and get a lot of value from one pack anyway.
It was the 'Five' I was thinking of - but yes, ISWYM

Unfortunately nowhere seems to have any stock of WLP940 at the moment... although TMM does have Omega OYL-113.
Maybe I'll wait to brew the Mexican Cerveza until I can get the WLP.
In the meantime I've ordered up the wherewithal for a batch of the GH 'European Lager'. I've been itching to try the Weyermann 'Eraclea' pilsner malt and this seems like a good excuse ;-)

Genetics isn't the whole story - a woman is genetically closer to her father or brother than she is to her aunt, but in certain key respects she is physically more like her aunt than a man. But it can help guide you.

I can't say I'm an expert on Mexican beer and I've not used WLP940, but that little Czech subgroup do have a certain character of their own. They're not as clean as some other lager yeasts which means that some people don't like them for generic "lager", but a bit of diacetyl etc is absolutely appropriate for certain types of lager. WLP940 is meant to be quite a nice yeast from what I've heard, but if you can't get it then S-23 is probably a decent place to start experimenting.

Back