Yeast help needed!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StormUK

Reaction score
So I started off a new batch of TC a few days ago, rehydrated the yeast etc and now 3 or 4 days in still very little activity. The temperature is ok, I have 23l of IPA next to it bubbling like hell. Would it hurt to put another packet of yeast in, see if I can kick start a bit of activity??

In my experience, cider doesn't make a head in the way that most beer does, it just fizzes away quietly to itself. Are you sure that's not what's happening? If nothing is really happening, what temperature did you rehydrate the yeast at?

The laat batch of TC I made last month was very vigorous and was done fermenting in 8days start to finish. Not sure what temp exactly, maybe it was a tad warm. Will using another sachet of yeast hurt?

So I started off a new batch of TC a few days ago, rehydrated the yeast etc and now 3 or 4 days in still very little activity. The temperature is ok, I have 23l of IPA next to it bubbling like hell. Would it hurt to put another packet of yeast in, see if I can kick start a bit of activity??
If you're confident the yeast wasn't damaged in anyway (rehydrated too hot, etc) then you can rouse the yeast.

I'd be inclined to take a gravity sample first though; as already stated - it may well be working fine.

If the gravity is very close to OG, then go mad with the stirring shaking. O2 at this point is very beneficial. If the gravity is closer to FG than anything, leave it alone or be very gentle when stirring.

I have a feeling when I rehydrated it the water was too hot. Niggling feeling. Anyway, I've thrown some more in now so will see what happens 😁

I have a feeling when I rehydrated it the water was too hot. Niggling feeling. Anyway, I've thrown some more in now so will see what happens 😁
Definitely the best thing if you've concerns about rehydration temperature. Good luck.

update:
I put another sachet of saisson yeast in, left it another few days and nothing. So I got a packet of EC1118 which is the yeast I used previously and had great success. Rehydrated it at the correct temp, added it and still nothing.
Now the only difference between my last batch and this one is that I used three different makes of apple juice, due to the COVID19 restrictions on the number of items you could buy at once. The majority was still ASDA cheap and nasty, some from LIDL and then a few (more expensive) from Sainsburys. Now I'm not sure what difference this would make but look what I found from the Sainsburys juice:
apple1.PNG

As you can see, it says 100% pressed apple juice. Now excuse me if I'm wrong here but 100% means nothing else but apple juice right?

apple2.PNG

Ok, so it has additives!! WTAF Sainsburys???

Question: Has the Ascorbic Acid prevented my fermentation?

Question: Can I save it by boiling, cooling then re-yeasting or do I throw it down the drain and start again?

Thanks

Last edited:
Ascorbic Acid (vitamin C) is an antioxidant to reduce browning in apple juice production. ... Its purpose is purely cosmetic and it will not affect the quality of the juice. Ascorbic acid can also be used in the drying process to reduce browning of light coloured fruits and vegetables.

I have used hundreds of litres of apple juice from every supermarket and have never had one fail i am sure there wouldn't be enough ascorbic acid to kill the yeast so it must be something else.

Question: Can I save it by boiling, cooling then re-yeasting or do I throw it down the drain and start again?

Heating doesn't get rid of it believe me (i tried it once with ribena) i have read enough threads about ribena wine to know this is a fact.

Thanks for the reply @chippbut now I am stumped as to why it didn't work. Everything was cleaned and sterilised. Followed the recipe to the letter and nothing. Strange!! Will pour it down the sink and start again 😔

Thanks for the reply @chippbut now I am stumped as to why it didn't work. Everything was cleaned and sterilised. Followed the recipe to the letter and nothing. Strange!! Will pour it down the sink and start again 😔

Have you checked it with a hydrometer? Added yeast nutrients? Tasted it? Do you know what temperature it's at?

I had a blueberry and apple cider that was sat at 18c for 3 days with no action. I tested the gravity, gave it a stir bumped it up to 20c and it took off like a rocket.

@fury_tea I checked the OG prior to start, added yeast nutrient etc. and its been in the kitchen the whole time at temperatures of between 18-22°C depending on time of day and whether we were cooking etc. I really am stumped with this one but its ok, will try again. My first batch was lovely and went down well so have to succeed again ha ha

Have you checked the gravity recently? I've had some strange ferments with cider, you'd think they hadn't started, no action from the airlock no visual signs at all but when I stuck my head in for a sniff, got a lung full of co2.

Have you checked the gravity recently? I've had some strange ferments with cider, you'd think they hadn't started, no action from the airlock no visual signs at all but when I stuck my head in for a sniff, got a lung full of co2.
No I haven't, I am away at work till next week but when I get home I'll check it before pouring it down the sink ha ha. Lets hope for a surprise conclusion to this thread 🤣🤣

Ok, this is a happy ending to my post, I think ha ha. Got home from 3 weeks away at work, took an SG and my TC has fermented. A reading of 1.000 sg making it 5.8% abv approx. What I think I have discovered is my fermenting bin is obviously not air tight as none of the co2 went out of the airlock. This was a new FB and the first time using it. Now I suppose I need to sterilise bottles and get bottling 🍻

Latest posts

Back