Yeast help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gggsss

Reaction score
Afternoon

Just about to knock up two separate 10L, fairly straight forward extract and cascade pale ales. I have got two US-05 packets (one for each batch). Am I right in thinking that will be OK to pitch 1 packet (11g) per 10 litres???? It advises on the packet that its good for 20-30L. I'm aware of the problems with under-pitching but wasn't sure if this was over-pitching (in my head I'm convinced it is fine). And if so are there any detrimental effects to over-pitching?

Sorry if a daft question but not terribly experienced thus far.

Cheers in advance all.....

Just split one packet in two, 5g in each 10L brew: you don't need 1 packet per brew if only 10L.

I've used half a packet, taped the packet back up and stored it in the fridge before now for months, and it was fine.

From the light reading I've done, you'll be fine to over pitch. If you are really worried you could just use one sachet to make a starter with some warm water and a couple of teaspoons of sugar and then split that between the two. But I'd just stick with your plan, you'll be fine.

You'll be fine, it takes a LOT to over pitch.
I've been doing 8-12 liter batches for years and always just toss the whole pack in.
Muntons comes in 6g packs and is highly underrated.

Cheers all. Going brew after football. I was thinking of weighing out about 7g just to sit in the middle of the opinions, but will probably check the whole pack in as I'm lazy..

I’ve regularly put 22g in a 23 L batch before with no ill effects. From my understanding over pitching is pretty difficult, and under pitching is more likely to cause issues to flavour.

this brulosophy experiment is worth a read:
Link

Latest posts

Back