Yeast isn't reacting quite right

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With a starter you KNOW if your yeast is any good or not.

In this case as the clock is ticking re--piching yeast to get a fermentation "going" might be the best bet.
Yeah, definitely need to do a starter first next time, fingers crossed!!

OK the wort will only keep for so long without a fermentation before going bad.
If your local homebrew is still open get some fresh yeast or even bread yeast from the supermarket.
Not kidding even bread yeast is better than nothing.

OK the wort will only keep for so long without a fermentation before going bad.
If your local homebrew is still open get some fresh yeast or even bread yeast from the supermarket.
Not kidding even bread yeast is better than nothing.
I've seen so much about not using bread yeast, you think it'll definitely be okay? :)

its not the best
but what option do you have now

its a bin it or rescue job the choice is yours
it is indeed utterly horrible when ones home brew looks like going belly up.

pixels get it fermenting however you do it
just get it fermenting
honest trust me

its not the best
but what option do you have now

its a bin it or rescue job the choice is yours
it is indeed utterly horrible when ones home brew looks like going belly up.

pixels get it fermenting however you do it
just get it fermenting
honest trust me

So, this morning, I made a starter with some store bought yeast, I pitched it and re-aerated it.
12 hours on, the initial bubble has gone, back to no bubbles, but I guess I should expect that?

Upon opening re-pitch I smelt it, it smelt good, smelt as if it had potentially been fermenting. I was also met with a gassy force when shaking and re-aerating.

Hopefully it can get going soon or it might be the end :(

I think it's probably fermenting. Especially if you got some effervescence on shaking it up. Ad Astra - Not sure what the point of this film was. Wouldn't watch it again. I love good space films but thought it wasted itself after a decent beginning.

I think it's probably fermenting. Especially if you got some effervescence on shaking it up. Ad Astra - Not sure what the point of this film was. Wouldn't watch it again. I love good space films but thought it wasted itself after a decent beginning.

Okay, could be a good sign then.
Never seen Ad Astra, I wish I could comment on it haha :D

I like An Ankou`s comments and opinions.Hes a good sort.

Back on subject the fact it smells ok is a very positive sign.Keep the lid on and the co2 in.

You might have to put this one down to experience,in future use a good starter and keep the temperature stable throughout.
In the past i have found STABLE temp control just about THE most important thing.

I like An Ankou`s comments and opinions.Hes a good sort.

Back on subject the fact it smells ok is a very positive sign.Keep the lid on and the co2 in.

You might have to put this one down to experience,in future use a good starter and keep the temperature stable throughout.
In the past i have found STABLE temp control just about THE most important thing.
Yeah, I have a blow of tube still in and lid on. I think I might do, definitely making starters from now on and I might invest in an immersion heater, if that sound like a good idea?

I have at this point to declare an interest I am an old winemaker from a dynasty of winemakers and brewers going back over a century.
All of our family shared our knowledge freely.

Yes Yes Yes the immersion heater will be a GOOD idea.

I have at this point to declare an interest I am an old winemaker from a dynasty of winemakers and brewers going back over a century.
All of our family shared our knowledge freely.

Yes Yes Yes the immersion heater will be a GOOD idea.
Oh that's brilliant, thank you for your help, if I haven't said so already :)

Okay I will look into it.

The principle behind using an immersion heater (alias fish tank heater) in a water bath is that you are using indirect heat to maintain the wort /beer temperature through the FV wall, rather than direct heating which arguably 'cooks' the beer and yeast through the small surface area and hot surfaces involved

Latest posts

Back