yeast nutrient

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
some just dump yeast from another batch into the late boil.

i will occasionally do a couple drops of zinc sulfate to a batch. supposedly it can help reduce sulfur production.

never noticed a difference though and probably wouldnt waste your time or money. the mash provides almost everything the yeast would need.

if you are reusing yeast over and over you may consider the above and also adding magnesium if your water is low on it.

I looked into this recently when i ran out of nutrient and was told the zinc is important so adding yeast alone is not the same. Geterbrewed sell servomyces for £15 and you get over 200 doses from it. Used wyeast beer nutrient for years and never had a stuck fermentation using RO water.
It is recommended to use nutrient with kveik yeast especially low abv beers.

I have a tub of this stuff that someone gave me, I add a teaspoon to the boil and a pinch to starters as a nutrient.
VafG9yu.png

Also I've heard that a little tomato paste works as a makeshift yeast nutrient but I've never tried it.

When I was asking more or less the same question about using CML voss kveik it was suggested (By forumite northern brewer I think) to just put some yeast slurry in the boil

I'll be using Lallemand voss and have read that is need a nutrient.
FWIW I pitched x1 pkt of Lallemand Voss to 23L 1058 wort @32C and it finished and dropped in 3 days. Brutal stuff. No nutrient added. Dried out the yeast cake and have made x2 subsequent brews from that too. Plenty of info out there in relation to Kveik, both the, cleaned up, commercially available ones and the original farmhouse. Lars Garshol has just published a definitive guide from his years of research.

FWIW I pitched x1 pkt of Lallemand Voss to 23L 1058 wort @32C and it finished and dropped in 3 days. Brutal stuff. No nutrient added. Dried out the yeast cake and have made x2 subsequent brews from that too. Plenty of info out there in relation to Kveik, both the, cleaned up, commercially available ones and the original farmhouse. Lars Garshol has just published a definitive guide from his years of research.
Thanks Simon,

I'll give it a go without nutrient, I'm going to pitch it at 35C and put it in the airing cupboard which is about 25C to 27C all the time and wrap it in an old fleece jacket and see how it goes.

I used to use yeast nutrient in brewing. Then stopped and noticed no difference whatsoever so don't bother with it any more. Perhaps if I was making 'country wines' from ingredients like elderflowers it might be different, but I'm not

I pitch the packet of Lallemand voss to 23l of 1.050 wort @ 33c yesterday at midday and took a sample at 10:00am today and it already at 1.012, at this rate I'll be bottling it on Saturday. For ales etc I won't be using any other yeasts as the voss is only £2 extra and it's done a lot quicker.

Sorry Mate but after listening to 2 men talk about their balls for 5 mins I zoned out. Did you really get to the end which is over an hour.

Latest posts

Back